Hello from Salado Tx

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
And, here's a monkey wrench for ya.... You might consider Mini's or Kinders. Mini's (choose your breed) are a cross between a full sized dairy goat and a Nigerian dwarf buck. Mini Alpines, Mini Nubians, Mini La Manchas....etc. Kinders are a cross between a Nubian doe and a Pygmy buck. (You usually breed a bigger doe to a smaller buck for ease of kidding.)

Mini's and Kinders are of course smaller than the larger dairy breed and bigger than a dwarf or pygmy. I am milking a Kinder doe that is giving almost as much as her Nubian herd-mates. She's about 40 lbs lighter than the Nubians and about 8 inches shorter and eats less feed.

Lots of folks like the mini's because they're small enough to be easily handled, eat less, and usually milk fairly close to a full size.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome! I am not too far from you. I'm in Kempner, Tx. :) We'll be getting some goats soon ourselves. I've been dreaming about the Nigerian breed forever. @animalmom has been an invaluable asset and ever so patient with all my questions. :) This board is great for gathering true first hand experiences, rather than the sometimes beautiful lies that blogs can give us. :)

Welcome welcome welcome! :)

Latest posts