Hello from Scotland!!

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi all, As Latestarter has observed, I have been lurking for rather a long time and I am sorry. I'm not usually silent, but I have been completely overwhelmed and fascinated by the sheepie world many of you (I think) live in in the USA. Katahdin, Dorper, Nigerian Dwarfs and assorted other breeds I don't think I've heard of - and sheep without wool? NO!! Never seen one! ;) Wild predators like coyotes?? Surely not! :eek: Seriously I have learnt so much, thank you.
However, somthing was posted I felt on firmer ground with, so I replied, and here I am, fresh from the East coast of Scotland. I have 4 pet sheep, 2 rescued as lambs from the sheep hill farm my land is in the middle of and 2 little Shetlands who were so friendly their owners wanted them to go to a "pet" atmosphere when they were selling them. I have had sheep for about 5 years now and try to learn all I can about them. I help with the lambing (about 2000 sheep) on the neighbouring farm, where my favourite job is (apart from actual lambing) looking after the ewes in the "maternity ward". I adore my own wooly (yes, definitely wooly, not hairy) family, Blackberry, the boss, Snowdrop (her sidekick) and the 2 wee ones - Millie and Woody.
Looking forward to learning more about other sheep and maybe exchanging information. Thank you so much for having me along.

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello and welcome from Utah! I look forward to your sheep contributions and I’ll no doubt need them when I finally get some of my own. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Shetland sheep but I imagine they’re small like everything else with Shetland in the name.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Great to have you with us (finally) @Girlies' Mum :clap We've had or have Sheeple, goat folks, and all manner of livestock lovers here with us from all over the world. I can recall Africa, Australia, South America, Central America, England, Wales, Europe, Tailand, New Zeland... I mean it's awesome!

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow, so many different countries to learn about, I find the differences so interesting. Thank you. A friend sent me a picture of a sheep in the deep Amazon jungle belonging to a tribe there! This is just the forum to ask if anyone knows what breed - nothing we have in Scotland, that's for sure. I am surprised she has so much wool.
Amazon sheep.jpg

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome from canada! I have katahdins lol and i agree thats its kinda strange seeing sheep that have hair instead of wool :lol: though honestly its easier (for me at least s ij nce im still in school). Welcome to BYH and i hope you enjoy meeting all the sheeple and other livestock enthusiasts here! I know i did!

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello and welcome from Utah! I look forward to your sheep contributions and I’ll no doubt need them when I finally get some of my own. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Shetland sheep but I imagine they’re small like everything else with Shetland in the name.

Yes - They are tiny, very hardy, very active, enjoy poor quality grass and foraging and come in many colours - mine are about 60-70lbs, fully grown. This is them meeting the big girls for the first time! Mine are also very friendly. Thank you for the welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 83

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Holy crimeny! Look at that size difference! The Shetlands are like 1/2 the size or even smaller! I had no idea the difference was that great.

cedarhillfiberfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome from Kentucky, USA!

It is interesting how different parts of the world have different breeds for different climates. I think the U.S. lacks some of the lovely heritage breeds you have in Scotland, although we do have lots of Shetlands. ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! We have hair sheep. Glad you decided to join the party. We'd love to hear more about your sheep adventures.