Hello From Southern Wisconsin/Northern Illinois

Kenning16

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My husband and I started an apple orchard about 5 years ago now and added 3 miniature donkeys and 4 sheep a few years ago. We have since sold the sheep, added chickens and most recently added goats. We have 4 Norwegian Dwarf, 1 Alpine and 1 Toggenburg.
The goats are so friendly (except the Alpine, he’s just very nervous still) and we are really enjoying them.

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Alaska, Bee’s and Bunnies make up “our Herd” so i just follow most of this from a distance; however there are lots of folks around here that you’ll find interesting!

claire1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, first day here, I'm Claire, and from Southern Oregon. My neighbors just purchased goats and sheep and we share our acreage with them, all told about 4.5 acres, 2 of them, wooded. 16 sheep (some lambs), 9 of them ewes; 3 goats, 1 male and 2 nannies, both pregnant. They may also be getting some cows and a bull. Our neighbors are wonderful, mom was raised in another country and they had no rules or regulations and she grew up with them but neither she nor I have raised animals. SO I have so many questions.

claire1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My husband and I started an apple orchard about 5 years ago now and added 3 miniature donkeys and 4 sheep a few years ago. We have since sold the sheep, added chickens and most recently added goats. We have 4 Norwegian Dwarf, 1 Alpine and 1 Toggenburg.
The goats are so friendly (except the Alpine, he’s just very nervous still) and we are really enjoying them.
Hi -

I grew up in MN and went to U of W, River Falls. :)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds wonderful!

Welcome to BYH! :welcome

Are the apple trees well protected from the goats? My goats ate my apples trees....as in the trees died.

claire1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It sounds wonderful!

Welcome to BYH! :welcome

Are the apple trees well protected from the goats? My goats ate my apples trees....as in the trees died.
Yikes. You may have to put a nice tall fence around the trees, far enough away that you can still get to the apples when they are ready.

Our apple tree rather sucks but it is great for applesauce, apple butter, and pie filling. We have a Bartlett pear tree and wow those are good. These are well established and the goats can only get to the ones that are low hanging. How big are your trees?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yikes. You may have to put a nice tall fence around the trees, far enough away that you can still get to the apples when they are ready.

Our apple tree rather sucks but it is great for applesauce, apple butter, and pie filling. We have a Bartlett pear tree and wow those are good. These are well established and the goats can only get to the ones that are low hanging. How big are your trees?
Your goats don't chew the bark?

Mine ate small branches and ate bark until it died.

Yes, I tried fencing them out but they already knew where the yummy stuff was. I had one that would jump my 6 foot tall fence, climb on a roof....

claire1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Your goats don't chew the bark?

Mine ate small branches and ate bark until it died.

Yes, I tried fencing them out but they already knew where the yummy stuff was. I had one that would jump my 6 foot tall fence, climb on a roof....
so far no, just the low hanging fruit.

Latest posts