Hello from Texas!

Gone Country

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My name is Katherine and I just got 2 goat kids Saturday afternoon. I'm totally new to goats and have no experience with them at all... unless you count the times I've been in petting zoos! LOL I was a vet asst for several years but only small animals (dogs/cats) and have plenty experience with those. :D

Oh about my little kids... 1 male, 1 female.. only 4 days old. Mama had no milk and was unable to nurse them. I'm trying to get them to accept a bottle which seems to be going ok. Oh and I have no idea what kind they are. :hide

Besides my new additions, my current house contains 1 loving husband who puts up with my love for anything with fur, 2 children, 3 dogs (Standard Poodle, Yellow Lab, Pomeranian), and 3 cats. Well 4 cats if you count the neighborhood siamese that has decided to take up residence on my back porch.

I'm in the process of learning all about goat care so I'll be stopping in a lot and you'll probably see me ask tons of questions!

edit: Here's a couple pics of my cute little babies... Maybe someone out there knows what kind they are. hehe

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OMG!!! There so cute!...I'll be learning along with you....unfortunetly I dont have goats but there on my "wish list'.....:welcome from Ontario Canada....

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi! :welcome I'm in SE Tx, west of Houston. Your new babies are super-cute!!! :love I'm getting 2 goats next Monday...they'll be my first also. Mine are 4-month-old Boer crosses (I believe 75% Boer, 25% Nubian...I'll verify that next week). One of mine looks just like yours...the other is a lighter color on the head.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
A D O R A B L E ! :welcome Welcome from Western Washington :frow

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello from Western Washington too!

I used to live in TX (grew up in Austin Co.) but lived my adult life in Houston mostly, sometimes the Dallas area.

Hurricane Ike sent me packing and now I'm about as far away from the gulf coast as I can get!

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, you lived right by me! I'm in Austin County (not the city of Austin, for non Texans). Hurricane Ike didn't even do anything here. I went to my mom's in Dallas because it looked like it was going to be a direct hit, but then it turned a little and missed us. When I came back, I only saw 1 damaged house in Sealy (fallen tree limb), and lots of smaller branches and leaves, a few missing roof shingles...nothing serious.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
TxMom said:
Oh, you lived right by me! I'm in Austin County (not the city of Austin, for non Texans). Hurricane Ike didn't even do anything here. I went to my mom's in Dallas because it looked like it was going to be a direct hit, but then it turned a little and missed us. When I came back, I only saw 1 damaged house in Sealy (fallen tree limb), and lots of smaller branches and leaves, a few missing roof shingles...nothing serious.
:frow
Remember the big Rita mess? (My mom and dad live in Bellville.)

In Houston, we lost two trees and a transformer got knocked down at the corner of our street. We lost power for 11 days...NO FUN!! Our house was in the process of being sold right when that happened too. Luckly the new buyers weren't scared off!

How is the gulf looking now? I hear it has been pretty quiet, just HOT and DRY. So I was glad to hear you got some rain.
:thumbsup

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yep...I went to Dallas during Rita also (only took 6 hours, I went back roads instead of the freeway ;) :D ). I usually evacuate at any threat because I just don't like the idea of being without power for days on end... Of course, same thing happened with both Rita and Ike, the storm turned north and missed us completely. Maybe next time I'll stay home...especially now that I have real animals. Chickens and goats are much harder to pack up than dogs, cats and rats!

Gulf is really quiet this year...nothing so far :D :D :D

(Sorry to hijack your thread, GC...I hope your little goaties are doing great!)

onedozenphyllises

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi TxMom! Where do you live? I'm in Grandview, about 40 miles due south of Fort Worth.

And yes, those are some very adorable Boer goats! :love