Hello from Texas

EmilyA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to this group from from South Texas area. We have a 25 acre little farm which we have had many livestock over the years. I started out as a zoo keeper, became a CVT, moved to colorado finished bachelors with goal of vet school...but became invovled in dog training and moved to Texas when offered a job at DoD dog training school and have been in Texas since. My husband and i ran our own dog training company and started acquiring livestock to accustom our working dogs to work along farm animals as many of our dogs works in other countries as land mine detection, uxo, urban sar, and rural tracking k9s...but im truth ive always had a passion for all animals as a child and as a vet tech and the "need"was a good excuse. Once we started having kids of our own we stopped the dog business but kept the livestock (scaled back and now starting to grow it again) and my own personal working dogs as its my stress relief hobby and mental break and side income being a SAHM. I currently have a herd of nigerian/mini lamancha for family milking as well as some bottle calves (and chickens, donkey and such). And plans to get back into meat goats, sheep and and some full size milking goats and a family cow pretty soon. I enjoying studying, reading and genetics and traits in breeding in lines as well as nutrition and health..science things but i do not show, register, milk test...its more my own little hobby and brain fuel since i no longer breed specialized working dogs.

Im happy these little forums still exist outside social media as i read a lot of response when researching questions but the posts are typically very old and i assumed werent used anymore. Very happy to be here and nice to meet you all! Thanks for the add :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A big Texas HOWDY! I’m in the Tyler area, selling the farm and moving to Trinity County. I’ll be on a couple acres with my Katahdin sheep and Livestock Guard Dogs. I’ll look around for another place.

Glad you joined, lots of friendly people here. I’m sure you’ll fit right in.