Hello from Thailand

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I googled it and it seems that it might be a problem. So, we've just spent time with our Thai builder discussing the building of the raised platform goat shed and have decided to instead build the framework out of concrete posts with a metal framework for the house part. The floor will be slatted wood with wood walls (no gaps between panels). The house will be 12 x 10 feet. Does this sound ok size wise? I'm hoping to separate off a portion of that for her to have her kids in. But then again, she'll be the only goat using it for a while so I guess she can just have her kid/s anywhere inside this time around :) Love everyone's thoughts on the house size please. If I need to change this, NOW is the time before building starts tomorrow morning. :) :weee

While I think of it....here's another photo :) The brown girl.

Our Girl.jpg

Is that her udder just starting to develop??

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like an udder to me. :) You said she is 4? Has she had kids before? Their udders will stay enlarged and saggy even if they aren't nursing a kid but it will start to fill and stretch and get shiny when birthing is imminent.

I have not used a slatted floor but know of someone that does. She has the gaps 5/8" apart so the goat berries slip right through. She really likes the floor but this is new to her and she is concerned about kids and getting feet caught in the gaps, but she raises Nigerian dwarfs so they are much smaller than yous. But it is something to think about and don't get the gaps too wide. You could possibly put down plywood on the floor just until the babies grow if it looks like a problem. Also, don't make the floor too big, do it in sections so you can lift them out and rake underneath. I am thinking more and more about doing a floor like this in the winter.

The size sounds great.

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just found out she has kidded twice before....this will be her third time. Both times previously she has had twins.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Twins are always a good thing!:woot Two doelings means 2 more potential milkers. One of each could give you a herdsire (I think breeding sibs is a don't--but father to daughter or mother to son is fine). Two bucklings can be a herdsire and 1 to sell, or a wether as companion to all. Anyway you decide to do it, could be a win/win. Maybe even trade a buckling for an unrelated (or only 1/2 related) buckling. Lots of potential with twins! We already have 2 dates to breed our little jr. herdsire in March, and getting pick-of-the-litter on at least one of those, and even though the births won't be for another 8+ months, I'm already making plans. Goats are addictive, and I am eaten-up with it.:D

Really looking forward to hearing more as you get started on your adventure. Also, remember WE LOVE PICS, and lots of 'em.

ps-What time is it there? I'm a night-owl so this is early for me, but technically it's 11:50pm here on the east coast of the US. Again, just curious...:p

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LOL.....so good to hear from you. :) You are so encouraging and love your thoughts on a herd sire. I have been wondering what I might do with a little buck. Good ideas, thanks.

It's 12:17pm.....just starting to think about lunch.

I've spoken to the seller again and he totally assures me she is indeed pregnant and not to worry about that.
:celebrate

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am glad that you got such a pretty doe. I didn't know what breeds were available in Thailand. Are there breeds that originate to that area? Livestock seems to travel the world just like people do!

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There Saanens, French Alpines (I think), Nubians and Thai native goats. The goat industry is VERY small here and mainly in the southern areas of Thailand, very far away from me in the north. I'm going to have to put the goat arriving here on hold for a few days sadly. Our daughter in NZ has just had an accident and needed surgery for a badly broken arm. She was due to fly out to us this Thursday for Christmas. She's just been given the all clear to fly still....but I will need to go to Bangkok to help her with her bags.....so will have to ask the seller to please drop her off AFTER we get back.

I think I will start a new thread over in the feeding section because I'm wanting to get advice now on what to feed my 60 days pregnant doe. (Don't want to hog space here in this section). Follow me over friends. :)

Latest posts