Hello from Thailand

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome back! Hope the trip for you and daughter was uneventful. Hope the trip for the goat was uneventful also! :fl Waiting for first pics (like an expectant dad here)! :D

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi, yes we are back home now and trying to keep my very impatient daughter from cutting her cast off. Hmmmm, stubborn as a goat! LOL

Our beautiful new goat is settling in really well. She's SUPER friendly and loves head rubs. She follows after me everywhere and is such a sweetie. :)

Here's a couple photos of her in her new home. (The purple on her ear is Gentian Violet. She was ear tagged before leaving her old place and had caught the tag on something. It was decided that the tag could come off and we could just let the hole close up).

My only issue now is figuring out loose minerals for her. There is VERY LITTLE choice here in Thailand it seems. So far, all minerals I've found are for cattle, sheep and goats together. I'm looking at making up a mineral/vitamin mix myself from whatever ingredients I can get here. Anyone have any good ideas?

I have just purchased a bag of 21% dairy cow pellets which she seems to love. I'm only giving her a small handful a day. I have also bought a bag of rice bran. Haven't given her any of that yet. Should I mix it in with the cow pellets or give separately? Should I mix the whole lot with some cow buttermilk (I can make the buttermilk myself from pasturised milk and bought-in buttermilk as a starter)?

IMG_3535.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aww! :) Glad you are all home safely and she is settling in nicely! :)
Sorry I'm not help with the rice bran and minerals questions... maybe @OneFineAcre @Southern by choice @babsbag @goatgurl @Goat Whisperer and others will have some information on this that they can share! :)
Enjoy your new goat; they are wonderful creatures! :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Congrats! She looks really good! I've never had a cast, but can imagine your daughter's impatience... I understand it gets itchy inside and obviously it can't be scratched... I would go with whatever minerals the seller was using. His herd seems to be healthy and that's the end result we all want. Hope you and family have a great holiday together!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
can't help with the rice bran, I've never fed it. as far as the mineral mix goes the one for goats and sheep would be fine. your goat is lovely. i use to raise alpines and really liked their personality. i know you are anxious for the kids to get here. just relax and enjoy her. they really are quite resilient and hard to 'mess up'.
glad your daughter made the trip to your house without problems. and i laughed at her wanting to take the cast off, i can identify with that. just remind her if she takes it off before the bone is healed they will have to redo the surgery and put a new one on. not pleasant. have a blessed Christmas.

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you :) Merry Christmas and many blessings to you all.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
21% protein is really too high for goats. 16 % is what I have read is ideal. I feed mine a 12% protein mixed feed. But, I have Nigerian Dwarfs and I don't know if the "ideal" 16% is necessarily ideal. Mine do great off of what I feed.
It probably won't be a problem if you are just giving a handful
I really don't have any knowledge about rice bran.
If the mineral is for sheep, it probably doesn't have enough copper for what goats need. But, I don't know anything about the amount of copper in the soil in Thailand to know if you are getting enough from your hay. You may want to see if you can find a geological survey to find the mineral content in the soil there.
Good luck.
She is a pretty girl.

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks. The 21% protein is all I could get at the moment. I'll be sure to just give a small amount. And the bran I will do the same.

I have come across a mineral supplement premix. Can someone please check if this sounds ok for goats?

Manganese 5.4 grams
Iron 14.2 grams
Copper 1.0 grams
Zinc 2.9 grams
Sodium 3.9 grams
Iodine 19.0 mg
Potassium 0.9 mg
Cobalt 1.1 mg
Fillers 1.0 kg

The total packet amount = 1,000 grams of mineral supplement.

I put some in a bucket for her but she is not interested in the slightest?