Hello from Thailand

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many Breeders, almost all the ones I know that are doing DHIR testing (milk tests) feed Blue Seal Goat Feed here. They swear by it and most have used it for years. Keep in mind these are all very high production goats. The dairy feed is 20% protein.

They rave about it. We tried it for awhile as some of our goats had come from these same breeders... it was OK... but we liked our feed better as did our goats. We don't do any sweet feed. Our feed is 17%.

21% may be too high for a non lactating goat- I am not sure.

http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-and-mgmt/goat-sheep-llama/815-premium-dairy-goat.pdf

No idea on the minerals- sorry.

Pretty girl! Goats are so much fun! How is the shelter coming along?

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Photos of the (almost) completed goat shed.

20151218_131633.jpg
20151218_131650.jpg
20151218_131710.jpg
20151218_131718.jpg
20151218_131722.jpg
20151218_131737.jpg
20151218_131810.jpg

Oops....the last photo is sideways. This is the door which is hinged at the top so that on hot days I can open it up.

thailand

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
DH wants to polyurethane the outside only to protect it from the weather. A good idea or not?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those minerals are very different than what we see here.
Here is a link to what is the Purina goat minerals for comparison.

http://www.purinamills.com/goat-feed/products/purina-goat-chow-mineral/

I don't think that those will hurt her in any way but there is no selenium in them, but then again, you may have that in your soil in abundance and therefor in your hay. Again, I would ask the seller. The goat looks to be in good health so they must be getting their animals what they need.

She is a cutie and I can't wait to see kids. And I LOVE the goat house, my goats would kill for that.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So glad to know you're home with your daughter, safe and sound, and that your lovely goatie has arrived. I can't see for sure, but in your pics it looks like her tummy may have grown a bit. Is that wishful thinking? Her house looks like a vacation cottage! I'm so jealous. I'm sure that polyurethane on the outside should be fine, I can't think why it would be a problem.

Does your doe have a name? I don't remember you saying. About the minerals, I don't know if it's that big a deal. Like @Latestarter said, the whole point is healthy goats, and the breeder seems to be doing a good job. Also, the only problem with minerals for sheep and goats is the lack of copper and selenium. Maybe you could just supplement the supplement by adding those 2 things to it if you're still really concerned. I really don't think I'd worry about it though. And like @babsbag said, you don't know what is or isn't in the soil.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the baby/ies, I'm sure it/they will be beauties, too. Christmas is just around the corner, and our weather has taken a turn for the warmer (and wetter). This has been a most unusual year. Looking forward to hearing from you again soon. Welcome back.:D

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Goat Mahal! I'm a little jealous... ;) Since goats really aren't too picky, I'm sure she's quite happy with it. The most important member of the family is the owner(s)... what do YOU think about your new goat house? I can't imagine you'd be displeased at all!

I was looking at the pic of the floor inside and a gap or two looked a little wide... not for an adult goat, but for when she kids... little tiny goat hooves might get stuck. I don't know, but something to maybe be aware of when the time comes so you can look then and see. My old eyes might be imagining things.

Polyurethane would be fine. You folks have monsoon season though, right? So really, it would keep direct water off the outside, but with near 100% humidity for a long period without end, the wood will get wet anyway on the inside? I don't know what type wood it is either... It sure looks nice, has nice grain and color. Was thinking teak, but unsure...

Thanks for sharing the pics! Looks sweet!