Hello from the Rocky Mountain N.West!

GaiaGrowers137

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! I am a wife & mother and very amateur farmer. I recently acquired our "starter herd" of only 4 goats- 2 Alpine wethers, and 2 miniAlpine doelings. Along with them we acquired 4 acres of pasture that we are improving and no later than spring I hope to add at least 4 more Alpine wethers & does, 3 KuneKunes, and a small herd of Targhee Sheep!! My husband & I have fallen in love with the Alpine goats for their dual purpose dairy & packing ability. We want Targhee right now but might look at other wool breeds.

Anyways, neither my husband or myself have ever raised farm animals like this and we would love to find a mentor in S.E. Idaho if anyone is interested! Otherwise we would just appreciate any leads on critters for sale/trade/free in the Pacific Northwest/Rocky Mountain area! thanks in advance!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello! I am a wife & mother and very amateur farmer. I recently acquired our "starter herd" of only 4 goats- 2 Alpine wethers, and 2 miniAlpine doelings. Along with them we acquired 4 acres of pasture that we are improving and no later than spring I hope to add at least 4 more Alpine wethers & does, 3 KuneKunes, and a small herd of Targhee Sheep!! My husband & I have fallen in love with the Alpine goats for their dual purpose dairy & packing ability. We want Targhee right now but might look at other wool breeds.

Anyways, neither my husband or myself have ever raised farm animals like this and we would love to find a mentor in S.E. Idaho if anyone is interested! Otherwise we would just appreciate any leads on critters for sale/trade/free in the Pacific Northwest/Rocky Mountain area! thanks in advance!
Welcome to BYH!

I would suggest slowing down a bit so you don't get overwhelmed.

Depending on how much rain you get, you might already be hitting your carrying capacity on your land. Of course I have no idea if you have improved pasture, or range.... or what.... But a year or 2 with just what you already have will give you a better idea of if you have extra forage... or not.

But ..... maybe add a livestock guardian dog, if you like dogs.

I had 2 kunekunes last year as feeder pigs and was NOT impressed. "Regular" pigs are way more economical. Kunekunes were easier to handle. :idunno depending on what you are looking for.