Hello from TX,newborn lamb help

PresidentBroly

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello everyone,I hope it's alright to ask this here but I have a newborn lamb who was rejected by her mother. I've raised two lambs before her who were a little older than she is so I have a bit of experience. I don't know much about newborn behavior though but she is eating,her stool is yellow which is healthy if I'm correct. But she lays down a lot,that's the part that concerns me since we have some newborn kids who are all over the place.I'd really appreciate to hear ya'lls input.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. It is normal for newborns to lay down and take naps. Did you milk out the ewe for the colostrum?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
In almost all species, rejected newborns will lay around a lot. They're 'lost' and lack the direction newborns would get from an attentive momma.
Welcome to BYH.:welcome

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Make sure she has lots of colostrum in her. I find being in the part of the country im in with this cold weather raining down on us my lambs tend to sleep a lot more to conserve energy until they are a few days old then they are running and playing like no tomorrow. Is it cold where you are? I also agree with @greybeard though i havent had a bum lamb yet myself i have been around many and have found that they do seem lost and typically a lot more quiet than you would expect a lamb to act. Btw quick question:how long has she been off mom for? Is there any chance of penning them together and putting moms head in a head gate to keep her still? Im not saying to leave them alone as if baby was rejected it could be dangerous, but possibly getting mom to smarten up and take the lamb back?

PresidentBroly

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies,however I regret to inform you all that she just passed away.

PresidentBroly

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Make sure she has lots of colostrum in her. I find being in the part of the country im in with this cold weather raining down on us my lambs tend to sleep a lot more to conserve energy until they are a few days old then they are running and playing like no tomorrow. Is it cold where you are? I also agree with @greybeard though i havent had a bum lamb yet myself i have been around many and have found that they do seem lost and typically a lot more quiet than you would expect a lamb to act. Btw quick question:how long has she been off mom for? Is there any chance of penning them together and putting moms head in a head gate to keep her still? Im not saying to leave them alone as if baby was rejected it could be dangerous, but possibly getting mom to smarten up and take the lamb back?
she was abandoned for about 2 days. All of our sheep/goats are new moms,however we've never seens one abandon their young.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure sorry that you lost the lamb, it is hard. We've all been there, but that doesn't make it any easier. Big hugs.