Hello from Upstate New York!

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here, have been "lurking around" reading comments and learning, and finally decided that I should join the club! :)

My husband, my son and I live in the Capital Region on 9.5 acres, we have a dog (Golden/Husky mix), 2 hens (1 Easter Egger and 1 Rhode Island Red, we think) and now 2 newly added Red Devon heifers. We both work full time but we want to start raising our own food, so we are starting small for now.

I look forward to learning and chatting with everyone!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
:frow :welcome :frow

Welcome from upper East Texas, where the stars shine bright, and it's green year round (at least where I am). Its so nice to have you join us!!! :clap

I wanted Devon cattle at one time, but after a lot of research, decided I want dairy goats more. We are on 4.9 acres & just don't have enough land or energy for cattle too. :old :lol:

We also have laying hens, Pekin ducks, Muscovy ducks, and a turkey hen. One of our Marana (chocolate laying) hens got broody, & we don't have a rooster, so we put fertile duck eggs under her & she hatched out 4 ducklings.

The turkey (Edith) also got broody, so we put 7 duck eggs under her. Unfortunately, we have a big ol' king snake & he has been stealing eggs. So, Edith is down to one egg. :hit

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello Devonviolet! Nice to "meet" you!
This is our first time raising cattle and it's all new to us. We have been talking about getting beef cattle because we are sick of the lack of quality meat we can get at the store and the "things" that they feed the cattle. We came upon someone selling a Devon last week, and at the same time we saw another ad for another Devon. We read about the breed and we really liked what we read about Devon, so we decided now is the time! I know some people like to do all the research first before starting out, which I normally do. But this time, the timing and price is right, so we just went ahead. The learning will come after! :)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
welcome from Arklahoma, right on the boarder, twice as nice. glad you decided to join us. i'm sure you'll like the devon cattle and I know you will like growing your own food and learning as you go.