Hello from upstate South Carolina!

thethinkingweasel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Rebekah and I live with my husband and his parents on our family farm, 45 acres of woods and pastures. We have a horse, goat, Katahdin hair sheep, Ossabaw and Guinea Hog pigs, geese, and a flock of chickens, plus dogs and cats. I am totally new to farm life, and feel like I've been getting a whole new bachelor's degree worth of education since we got married in 2018...who knew that plants and animals could be so complex?? I love getting to work outside in the sunshine every day, and am enjoying learning how to care for animals and raise our own food. I'm looking forward to learning from this community!

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! I, too, am new to the “country life” having retired from a big-city suburb a few years ago. I love learning with my ND goats, Kunekune and pot belly pigs, Barbados lambs, assorted chickens and LGDs. This website has been a life-saver! So many great people. If you want to learn about gardening, BYH’s sister site, the easy garden.com, is great, too.

Please be aware we are all picture junkies, so feel free to share! :cool: My girl Ethel says hello (actually, she was standing on her sister, demanding that I provide the pig newton treat just a bit faster, so it might have been a rougher word than ‘hello’...Ha
5DF31ACC-63A7-4F30-A554-0CB1C8E0B9DE.jpeg
!).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. We have Katahdin hair sheep, 4 horses (2 are retired seniors), chickens, 4 dogs and just got 2 feeder pigs. Isn't it fun?? Do you raise a garden too? Many of us do, and we can, freeze and dehydrate. Glad to have you here!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We lived in South Carolina for many years and have some good friends in the upstate area that were our mentors with sheep for years. They were also our mentors training our sheep herding dogs and I would be happy to give you their contact info.

WildBird

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from Idaho! Sounds like you've got a big farm over there! On here you should be able to find advice to your animal (and gardening) problems! Mistakes are fine and questions are welcome. Have a great day!

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from the piedmont of South Carolina. We're probably just a few miles apart. I'm near Clinton.
If you need any advice on how NOT to do things, I'm probably your man. I'm new too. Only been on the place 1 year. But the people on this site are very knowledgable and helpful, and very nice when they make suggestions. It's almost like family! (Except they're nicer than the way family would say it.) :lol:

thethinkingweasel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcomes! @Baymule yes, it is great fun as well as a huge learning curve! We do garden ... we're planning to raise corn, pumpkins, and a bunch of other veggies this year. We've been reading up on the landrace concept and are going to experiment with developing one of corn and one of pumpkins to start with. We mostly freeze our produce; I haven't had the courage to try canning yet! @Coolbreeze89 , Ethel looks very similar to Ozzie, our Ossabaw breeding boar! @Mike CHS , we would love to get in touch with your sheep mentors! If anyone has a chicken slaughtering mentor to recommend, we would appreciate that too! @Xerocles , hi, neighbor! We're near Rock Hill. Good to meet you all!

Here's a picture of our geese hanging out along the driveway, where they threaten every car that comes along...my father-in-law calls them the personality of our farm. :)

Attachments

• P1250413.JPG
    P1250413.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 224

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Canning is not that hard to do. If you want to learn, I'll walk you through it. The Ball book of canning is very informative.

I have this one.

This is the newest edition

The All New Ball Book Of Canning And Preserving: Over 200 of the Best Canned, Jammed, Pickled, and Preserved Recipes

Attachments

• 1581039675135.jpeg
    1581039675135.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 245

Latest posts