Hello from Virginia...and a couple of new years goat owner questions

Goats on the Tipple

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! First and foremost I want to say what an awesome group of people on this forum!!! I have been on here almost continuously since Thursday!!!

...so here’s what happened. I was planning to get chickens and goats. Chickens were going to come first, Spring 2019. And goats were going to come along later, probably next year. I’m a planner...I’ve been researching chickens for months now. And keep in mind, we don’t have a lot of property, just about 3-4 acres. This was just going to be a small “hobby farm”. Just because I love my animals!! I grew up on a farm and my husband worked for a Vet for years, so it’s nit like we know nothing.
BUT, my adult son brought me two baby fainting goats on Wednesday night. I wasn’t prepared at all. They spent their first night in a dog crate in my basement. But we now have them a little lot and a small house. We’ll do a larger lot and a little barn in the spring. There’s a little nanny and a little wether (well, he will be soon... technically he’s still got his goods but has been banded).

So I’ve been researching the heck out of goats since Thursday, primarily on this site. Just want to make sure I’m doing things right.

I’m feeding a medicated goat feed (proper calcium to phosphorus ratio) and hay. They also have a little bit of grass to nibble on in the yard and some leaves, pine needles and stuff. I plan to add some alfalfa pellets with the goat food at some point. I’ve already bought them, just didn’t want to upset their routine as they were on the medicated at their previous house. Does this sound ok?

Wormed them yesterday.

Bought goat manna last night but haven’t started it yet. Should I want a couple of days since I just wormed them? Sorry if that’s a dumb question, just don’t want upset bellies.

The little girls eye is now a little runny and she’s a little squinty in one eye. We washed it today and flushed it with saline. If it’s not better in a day or two, I’ll get terramycen to put in it too. Doesn’t appear to be pink eye or anything, but should I do more?

Thanks again for everyone’s posts that I’ve been reading way past my bedtime every night!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. 3-4 acres isn't really all that "small" for a hobby farm. Plenty of room to add my goats, maybe some sheep and you must get a couple of pigs! You have to plan ahead for the bacon to have with those farm fresh eggs! Oh, and just so you know, most of us on here are wicked enablers! ;) There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this post & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on your new goats!

Do you know if the kids were given a CD & T vaccination? If not they will need this and then a follow up.
How old are the kids?
I strongly recommend in 10 days you have a fecal run to check for coccidia and parasites. These cannot be seen with the eye, only under a scope. For future - it is never a good idea to deworm a goat without knowing what parasites they have and the load they have. This leads tp parasite resistance. Most dewormers only kill 4 ths stage so follow ups are important. What dewormer did you use?

Check your feed and see if it has ammonium chloride in it. The wether will need that. NO baking soda!
How much are you feeding (feed)?

When you say goat manna are you referring to manna pro goat minerals?

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello from Tn. Yes, the members on here are great. You will definetly get alot of hreat advice on here.
As far as hetting pigs, just asl @Latestarter how NOT to transport one. He learned that pigs DO know how to fly. ;)
If you have questions about goats or sheep, there is a wealth of information and knowledgeable members on here that can help you with any questions you may have.
One thing you probably already know is to use a good, strong fence and do NOT buy welded wire. Get woven it will last longer.
:welcome

Goats on the Tipple

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on your new goats!

Do you know if the kids were given a CD & T vaccination? If not they will need this and then a follow up.
How old are the kids?
I strongly recommend in 10 days you have a fecal run to check for coccidia and parasites. These cannot be seen with the eye, only under a scope. For future - it is never a good idea to deworm a goat without knowing what parasites they have and the load they have. This leads tp parasite resistance. Most dewormers only kill 4 ths stage so follow ups are important. What dewormer did you use?

Check your feed and see if it has ammonium chloride in it. The wether will need that. NO baking soda!
How much are you feeding (feed)?

When you say goat manna are you referring to manna pro goat minerals?

I do not know about the vaccine but I should be able to find out. My son is friends with the people who had these babies. They are actually selling their entire herd to one person, she didn’t want the ones that were not registered. So they are rehoming a few.

I’ll have to find out their exact age too. I know they were weaned and eating well.

I’ll check on the feed. I tore off the nutrition info part and put that up for safe keeping. They didn’t eat well on Day 1 or 2, at least not the feed. But have been increasing. Yesterday they ate 2/3 cup between the two of them. I have them 1 cup today.

They weigh about 10 pounds. Little girl was slightly over and little boy was slightly under.

And yes, that’s the goat mineral I got after reading things on here.

Thank you!!

Goats on the Tipple

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello from Tn. Yes, the members on here are great. You will definetly get alot of hreat advice on here.
As far as hetting pigs, just asl @Latestarter how NOT to transport one. He learned that pigs DO know how to fly. ;)
If you have questions about goats or sheep, there is a wealth of information and knowledgeable members on here that can help you with any questions you may have.
One thing you probably already know is to use a good, strong fence and do NOT buy welded wire. Get woven it will last longer.
:welcome
Thanks! Haha, I’ll keep that in mind on the pigs. Lol!

Yes, that’s actually what our yard is fenced with, woven wire “goat no-climb” fence. We are doing that around their lot, connecting in to the yard fence. And we’re adding electric to the top. Thank you!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If weighing only 10 pounds I would be cautious about giving too much feed. Maybe 1/4 cup each and let them have good quality hay. Alfalfa is very good.
If weaned then I would estimate a minimum of 8 weeks. 10 pounds would be very small. Definitely get the fecal run for coccidia. Medicated feed is not always enough for a prevention and now with the move as well as the banding of the buckling you don't want a bloom.
The doeling may just have a scratch or something but it would be best to take her temperature anyway.

I am also attaching what I feel is the best article about preventing Urinary Calculi. Because you have a wether and they are more prone to UC extra caution needs to be taken.

http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/SP/MG/Documents/SLIDES/Urinary calculi.pdf