1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Hello......... Green horn here

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Pigs' started by Karl Atkins, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Sep 23, 2017
    Karl Atkins

Karl Atkins Exploring the pasture

hello,
    first time posting here. I did a search of what I was looking for but not really finding it.

So The three pigs I bought today are 12 weeks old. I read that they get 2 1/2 to 3 pound a day. sure dont seem like enough. I am having a hard time trying to measure food out. I have red Folders plastic 5 pound that I am using. I tried to weight but my scale wont read it. so I am guessing one level container is 3 pounds but not sure. i tried holding it while on the scale and get different readings. so I dont need to feed them alfalfa anything ? just the store bought 16% Neturina feed ? thanks they will be butchered in about 6 months.

2. Sep 23, 2017
    Simpleterrier

Simpleterrier Ridin' The Range

Alrighty first time with pigs. Keep it simple buy or make a gravity feeder and keep feed in front of them 24/7 also fresh water at all times. I also throw in garden scraps or anything else I think they will eat.

3. Sep 24, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I never measured feed. They had a big trough that I wired to the fence and I just filled it when it was empty. I used hog grower feed and all the kitchen and garden scraps I could find. I give them hard boiled eggs when I had extras and old milk from the goats. I also brought home lunch room scraps from the school where I worked. I fed them everything except meat with bones. I raised them in the fall so they had a lot of fallen apples from a friends orchard too. I just always made sure they had feed, or at least it didn't stay empty for long.

mysunwolf likes this.
  4. Sep 24, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Greetings and welcome to BYH. Please share some pics of your piggies... we all love pics (as you'll notice browsing the site). Glad you joined us. Make yourself at home!

5. Sep 27, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I bought a metal feeder at Tractor Supply. I put feed in, 50 pounds at a time, for 3 pigs. With only one pig, you wouldn't need to put the whole bag in at one time. It has metal lids that keep birds out of the feeder.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-Offer&affiliate_id=21181&click_id=2089469943

Take a deep breath, relax, raising a pig is not hard. Pigs want clean water, food, a wet wallow to cool off in hot weather and a dry shelter from rain and cold in cold weather. I am including links to my 2 threads on raising feeder pigs. Beware on the 2nd thread, we slaughtered our own and there are pictures of us processing the pigs. If it offends you, don't open thread #2.

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/feeder-pigs.32154/

Thread #2 contains slaughter pictures
    https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/feeder-pigs-2017.35395/

The Hawg Hut I built for shelter

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/hawg-hut-or-goat-or-sheep-or-dhs-new-digs.32088/#post-403131

6. Sep 27, 2017
    Karl Atkins

Karl Atkins Exploring the pasture

Latestarter likes this.
  7. Sep 28, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Nice looking little porkers :D I'm sure they'll make for some mighty fine bacon some day :drool Thanks for the pic! Have they started eating yet?