Hello! I am a Hog raiser and am New to BackyardHerds!

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello!
I have been part of backyard chickens but my pigs started acting sick so I joined BYH! I have 3 red wattle hogs, 19 chickens, 2 dogs, and a cat.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!!....:frow
There are many here that have pigs and are very knowledgeable about them. I, however, have no experience with pigs. We have goats, chickens, ducks, and cats here on our 20acres. There is a bunch of info in the existing pig Forum and Threads, if ya have a question, advice, or comment just feel free to post and it shouldn't be long before someone will answer ya.....if they can't help they can tag some who can.
Again....:welcome

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome. Sorry you're having sick pig issues. I've tagged a few folks on your other post who may have help to offer. Please browse around and "meet" some of our members and make yourself at home.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! We just slaughtered 3 Red Wattle hogs. We found a good buy on 3 four month old Red Wattle pigs and bought them all. Then we shared with neighbors, split costs. We had a neighborhood slaughter party, one at a time and got them all in the freezer. I liked them and now I miss my pigs! LOL

Are you breeding your pigs or raising them for the freezer?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where are you located? You might want to put your general location in your avatar.

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! We just slaughtered 3 Red Wattle hogs. We found a good buy on 3 four month old Red Wattle pigs and bought them all. Then we shared with neighbors, split costs. We had a neighborhood slaughter party, one at a time and got them all in the freezer. I liked them and now I miss my pigs! LOL

Are you breeding your pigs or raising them for the freezer?

thanks for the welcome! I am located in Missouri. I raised three red wattles last year and kept half a hog and sold the rest. I am doing the same this year.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome from Indiana! Currently on church property, I raise meat rabbits and tend to an acre (give or take) patch out back that I bale for hay. The recent purchase of an old Gravely should allow me to do my own work with the exception of a baler. By next season I hope to have that solved with a metal, stationary one that doesn't take up much room. What you are doing with some hogs, I hope to do with a couple calves on my own place some time down the road. I keep using the singular pronoun because my wife might go along for the ride, but has no plan to participate. My boys are young right now, and I hope to train them up to pitch in and help without too much coercion.

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That's really cool! You're a pastor? I am wanting to do cows but I don't have the land for it and as a young teen, I don't have the money to buy some pasture. Thanks for the welcome!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's really cool! You're a pastor? I am wanting to do cows but I don't have the land for it and as a young teen, I don't have the money to buy some pasture. Thanks for the welcome!

Yah, I am a ordained minister in an independent Christian Church. Real original user name, right? After 6 years, when I call folks in my congregation and use my first and last name, they still say, "Who?" So, I just got in the habit of calling and saying, "This is Pastor Dave." I have it on my business cards under my name too.

I will share with you what I have other young folks. Save or "pay yourself" out of what money you earn. Put it away for retirement or investment, but don't get yourself far enough into debt that you can't save. Farms and land come up for sale every so often.

If you can hold out long enough, Grandpa's farm or Dad's farm or In-laws farm generally get handed down to the next generation or so. But, if that isn't going to occur, or you can't wait, find a farm that is reasonably priced. Still a few that show up now and then. As long as you can work on it to make a living and pay the bank note, or use the portion you want and lease some ground out to pay the bank note. Sometimes a woods is attached that you could make a little profit off if there is mature timber to harvest for lumber, etc.

It's easy to get into a hurry, but take your time and save up, and wait for some land to come available. Sometimes working for a farmer will benefit you later if they have some land they may split off and sell, used machinery you can buy reasonable or livestock they'll help you get started with cheap. Sometimes just being young and eager will get you extra attention of an old-timer just wanting to make sure their place stays in good hands of somebody going to farm it like they did. Good luck to your future endeavors.