Hello! I am a Hog raiser and am New to BackyardHerds!

CowboyClayt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yah, I am a ordained minister in an independent Christian Church. Real original user name, right? After 6 years, when I call folks in my congregation and use my first and last name, they still say, "Who?" So, I just got in the habit of calling and saying, "This is Pastor Dave." I have it on my business cards under my name too.

I will share with you what I have other young folks. Save or "pay yourself" out of what money you earn. Put it away for retirement or investment, but don't get yourself far enough into debt that you can't save. Farms and land come up for sale every so often.

If you can hold out long enough, Grandpa's farm or Dad's farm or In-laws farm generally get handed down to the next generation or so. But, if that isn't going to occur, or you can't wait, find a farm that is reasonably priced. Still a few that show up now and then. As long as you can work on it to make a living and pay the bank note, or use the portion you want and lease some ground out to pay the bank note. Sometimes a woods is attached that you could make a little profit off if there is mature timber to harvest for lumber, etc.

It's easy to get into a hurry, but take your time and save up, and wait for some land to come available. Sometimes working for a farmer will benefit you later if they have some land they may split off and sell, used machinery you can buy reasonable or livestock they'll help you get started with cheap. Sometimes just being young and eager will get you extra attention of an old-timer just wanting to make sure their place stays in good hands of somebody going to farm it like they did. Good luck to your future endeavors.

Thank you for the encouragement and information!