Hello, new member with questions about sheep

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi, I live in lower Michigan, and have chickens and ducks. I am considering Shetland sheep for pets, lawn mowing, and of course wool. We have a man-made pond for the ducks, and the question I have is will the sheep tend to stay away from the pond?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH :frow Glad you joined us. Since you're just contemplating sheep, there's a wealth of info and shared knowledge and experience in the various threads. Please make yourself at home and browse around. I can't answer the specific question you've asked but we have quite a few active sheeple and I imagine one or more will be along directly and be able to provide an answer. I see that you've posted another thread asking the same question(s) so it may get answered there, since this is the new member intro area. Look forward to reading your posts and hope you'll share your journey as you proceed. :D

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey, Welcome to BYH! I'm sure you'll find out what you are looking to know. Many people on this site are VERY knowledgeable and all are more than happy to help us.

:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi! :frow
Glad ya joined up, we have goats, chickens, ducks, and cats. There are quite a few here that are neighbors of yours there in Michigan. Several of which have sheep, but I am unfamiliar with them so I don't know enough to answer your question. I would think if they had water available to drink they wouldn't be hanging out there. Most animals have a curious nature, so I'm sure they'd check it out, but once the curiosity subsides they would be more interested in grazing.
What breeds of chickens and ducks do you have? There are many here that also have poultry, so there are many topics discussed and we all Love pictures and there are many in the "Threads". Feel free to jump in on the conversations and Post some pics of your animals. Again...:welcome

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi from AK

I love sheep!

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have Muscovies, which we just got over the summer. Our chickens are Dominiques, and some mixed breeds. The Dominiques will be bred with our Buff Orpington mix cockerel for a mixed breed that is a great layer, beautiful, smart, and can tell from chick if male or female.

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DSCN3195.JPG

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have Golden Laced Wyandottes, we call the "Dotties" for short, and Khaki Campbell and Rouens. We don't have anything as interesting going on with the birds as you do, tho. That is a really nice looking chicken and an interesting cross for sure.:thumbsup
I really don't know much about the muscovies, but we really like our ducks, these are the first group we have ever had and continue learning things as time goes by. :)
We will probably end up getting some more chickens of a couple different breeds in the future, but are really just starting out with some expansion coming in the future. It is being documented in my journal with pics and such, if ya are interested, please check it out. We are having Fun here at the Lazy A** Acres.
Sure look forward to seeing yours develope and ya can document it too, just start a Journal thread and post away:)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Indiana.
I don't have sheep, but pretty sure they would try out your pond. Someone on here will know.
Once you have your questions answered, this is a good place to share in experiences and day to day herd life.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from New Hampshire! I also have Dominiques, and I LOVE them! The rest of my chickens are ok but I really enjoy my doms. I also have goats, pigs, and heritage turkeys. Can't help with your sheep question though, I know nothing about sheep!