Hello new to goats

GrimshelsGrazingGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello guys I'm really new to the goat industry. I've been researching breeds. I was going to go with strictly kiko, however I don't like the look of the kiko buck. I think I've settled on the boer buck and cross with kiko does for parasite reasons. I'm building my shed right now 10x15 6' at front and 4' at back. I've got about an acre of land fenced in with hog wire. Plenty of briars hedges etc. I was trying to find auction houses and buyers before I got my goats. That way I'd have a place to sell before I have more goats than land. If y'all can give me any advice I'm opening to all good knowledge thanks.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from North Carolina.

We don't do meat goats, but there are plenty of folks on here who do who can give you good advice. :thumbsup

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hello guys I'm really new to the goat industry. I've been researching breeds. I was going to go with strictly kiko, however I don't like the look of the kiko buck. I think I've settled on the boer buck and cross with kiko does for parasite reasons. I'm building my shed right now 10x15 6' at front and 4' at back. I've got about an acre of land fenced in with hog wire. Plenty of briars hedges etc. I was trying to find auction houses and buyers before I got my goats. That way I'd have a place to sell before I have more goats than land. If y'all can give me any advice I'm opening to all good knowledge thanks.

Where are you located? There are usually livestock auctions all over the place. Ask your breeder if they know of any livestock auctions in your area.

Since you are looking to raise goats and sell them, I suggest developing a livestock enterprise budget for your business.

GrimshelsGrazingGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Where are you located? There are usually livestock auctions all over the place. Ask your breeder if they know of any livestock auctions in your area.

Since you are looking to raise goats and sell them, I suggest developing a livestock enterprise budget for your business.
I'm located in louisville ms. I'd prefer a place within 2 hours. But can go further if needed.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Going further cuts down on your profit as you pay for the gas to haul a trailer full of stock.

I don't know how close any of these are to you, but if I were you I would check them out. Figure out what buyers are looking for in goats, find out how the goats are selling (by the pound, by the head) and if it is a graded auction or not. If it is graded, you get price premiums for the higher quality animals you send through.

http://www.yellowpages.com/louisville-ms/livestock-auction

Last edited: