Hello, we are new to farm life

Nana2Four

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We recently retired a year and half ago, from surburbia to 10 acres of country life with 1 Australian Sheppard and 3 cats. We have since added 2 great pyrenees puppies (4 months and 5 months), 26 chickens, and most recently 3 dwarf nigerian goats. So far we love our new life and jobs. Lol. We work with the the puppies everyday but can't get them to leave the chickens alone. I'm hoping with consistency we will get them to guard and not try to play and corner the chickens. Anyway, thank you to those that read all of this. Lol I'm excited to be here and learn from all of you.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome from western Arkansas! I can't help with your LGD questions. All I can say is that being retired has been great for us! After 42+ years of living in suburbia, we retired in 2017 and moved to Arkansas in early 2018. It has been great! I look forward to reading reading about your adventures!

Senile Texas Aggie

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your dogs are puppies and think everyone/thing wants to play with them....after all who wouldn’t. Try starting them around the livestock on leash. Dogs all need leash training for trips to the vet or whatever as basic training anyway. You don’t want to show up at the vet with a 110 lb hurricane on a leash. Teach them now. Reward them ANY time they are calm around the livestock. Keep small treats in a pocket or baggie with you ALWAYS while they are training. It’s hard to train puppies to chickens. Start them with the bigger animals and try again later. But let them know the chickens are yours and they belong there. Good luck. Oh yeah...welcome.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. We are retired, have 8 acres and a big garden. We raise Katahdin hair sheep, have 4 Horses, chickens, 3 LGDs and a Great Dane/Lab cross. We get a couple of feeder pigs for the freezer. We stay busy! Glad to have you here.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA....

I will retire again, one day....my farm has some old (!) retired mini horses, a herd of dairy goats and a big flock of chickens. You should enjoy the farm life. We all do and are happy with your successes and understand sadness at your losses. Yep, a LOT of good people with experience and sharing on this forum.

Oh -- we are picture addicts. Feel free to share some!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've successfully trained 4 pups on chickens if you'd like a hand....most only took a few days of leash training and one session of training on birds. Doesn't take long at all and I've not had a single one forget their training and harm or chase a bird. I've even taught the neighbor's dog one evening in a very brief session and it wouldn't harm my birds after that either....not sure what it did at its own home.

Welcome to the forum from WV!