Hello!

CottageCow22

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:) Some of you probably know me as CottageChicken22 or CottageGardener123. Over here I'm CottageCow22. You can call me Cottage if you want to. I don't have cows BUT, would like to know info on backyard cows is it true that there is backyard cows? does nifty have some in his yard? does anyone have some in their backyard? anyone here have mini cows? Thanks in advance. :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, people really do have cows in their backyards. Usually it's on at least a couple acres so they have room to pasture them. The recommended acerage is 1.5 acres per animal for pasture. You can get away with less per head but, will need to feed more hay.

No, Nifty doesn't have any cows in his backyard-maybe someday. ;) My DH and I own/operate a dairy farm so, yes I have cows in my backyard and more.

BYCows started out as a April Fool's Day joke on BYChickens a couple of years ago. If you do a search there I'm sure you will find the thread. Nifty has been hounded to make it a reality since and finally decided to get it up and running this last summer.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
welcome ive had cows in my backyard a few time over the years.im a retired dairymen.still keep a bunch of stock cows around.as well as some reg beefmasters.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My cows are technically not in my backyard, but they're just over the fence (hog wire), so it's just like they are! They're often only a couple hundred feet from the back of our house, at the most. I love it!