Hello!

DaniMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a member of Backyard Chickens which has been very helpful, and when we got meat rabbits, I heard about this page. Hoping it is just as helpful ☺
We currently have a trio of Silver Fox rabbits. We had our first kindling this weekend which didn't go as well as I hoped, but we're going to just blame the heat and move on.

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to BYH! :) I also have meat rabbits and we were going to go with Silver Foxes, but instead ended up with Rexes. Haha. Our first litter didn't go well, either. :( I know that a lot of times, first time mother rabbits will lose a lot of their litter and we ended up with only three kits, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Either way, feel free to look around and ask questions! ;)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA.

OF COURSE you will get awesome help here! :p :love

It may take a day or two for a reply -- depends on everyone's own schedules for reading threads.

This site has many who are so many knowledgeable with just about any animal you can imagine and so willing to share -- good & bad, so we all learn. Many are also BYC members. We have members who are excellent with things other than animals, also, who share info, tricks & advice (from training & experience) as needed.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both of you might want to put your general location in your avatar. Your local climate has a lot to do with when you breed your rabbits. For instance, I am in northeast Texas, there is no way, if I had rabbits, that I would breed in the summer. Fat, pregnant, AND wearing a fur coat? :th Many years ago I lived in southeast Texas and raised Satins for show and meat. I don't keep rabbits any more, but once you learn something, you generally remember it. LOL

I used to give the does a rest in the summer months and resume breeding in September or October.

Sorry about losing your first litter. Often times a new doe doesn't know what to do, but will make a good mother on the 2nd litter. Raising rabbits is fun, you get very delicious meat and rabbit manure is fantastic for the garden.

DaniMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Actually, both of our does are proven. Zoe's last litter had 6 but she only had one this time. Or other die had 3 but one was stillborn and one died two days later. So we have one from each doe. We're guessing that the weather was a factor. Now we know and won't breed in the summer heat again. At least we have two squirmy, fat kits They are both with one momma so they'll have a better chance and aren't alone.

Both of you might want to put your general location in your avatar. Your local climate has a lot to do with when you breed your rabbits. For instance, I am in northeast Texas, there is no way, if I had rabbits, that I would breed in the summer. Fat, pregnant, AND wearing a fur coat? :th Many years ago I lived in southeast Texas and raised Satins for show and meat. I don't keep rabbits any more, but once you learn something, you generally remember it. LOL

I used to give the does a rest in the summer months and resume breeding in September or October.

Sorry about losing your first litter. Often times a new doe doesn't know what to do, but will make a good mother on the 2nd litter. Raising rabbits is fun, you get very delicious meat and rabbit manure is fantastic for the garden.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Breed them both at the same time, if something goes wrong with one, you can foster kits on the other doe. I used to breed 10-20 does at one time. I had a couple of sleepless nights, but better than stringing it out over weeks.

DaniMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Breed them both at the same time, if something goes wrong with one, you can foster kits on the other doe. I used to breed 10-20 does at one time. I had a couple of sleepless nights, but better than stringing it out over weeks.

Yes, that's what we did and I'm glad.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. We have a lot of great Rabbitteers here and there's lots of great info in the threads. Please browse around and feel freee to ask questions and jump in when you feel the calling. As was mentioned, you really should put at least your general location in your profile. Location has a lot to do with recommendations either offered or asked for. :) Glad you joined us.

DaniMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I've updated my location. We're in middle TN ☺

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome :frowglad you joined us! Sorry to hear that you lost kits from both does. We have Californian and French Angora rabbits- we give them summers off here.