Hello!

Chalpaken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a new member of BackYardHerds. I have 20+ chickens and I live in Tasmania, Australia! We recently moved to a big piece of land (45+ hectares of wilderness) and we've started settling in. We're currently living in a tiny house (container house) and starting to plant a lot since we've moved. There's a wild flock of sheep living on our land, and we're planning to tame and keep them as their wool is very overgrown and they're jumpy at the moment. They do, however, have some beautiful lambs :). Any tips on rural life as we're new to it will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

PS: About my peculiar name, I couldn't think of something else so I combined my two favourite farm animals - chickens and alpacas, which I may be getting).

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello from eastern Tennessee, USA!
Wow! Taming wild sheep, bet that will be interesting.
When I was younger I kept Katahdin hair sheep and Border Collies. We had a local group that would train and attend trials. Lot of fun!
My grandmother used to tell me how folks used salt to keep their free ranging stock tame.
What breed of chickens do you keep? I like your name combination.
I have French Black (and Blue) Copper Marans, English Buff Orpingtons, a few Sumatra, Easter Eggers, Barred Rock.
Keep Nubian dairy goats for milk,, yogurt, cheese. Used to show, too. Down sized as gotten older.
George, LGD keeps all safe from predators. Rita, pot belly pig, is the queen of all she surveys!
Happy to meet you! Post lots of pictures of your adventures getting things into shape.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. We have a very decent Aussie sheep farmer here on the site @The Old Ram-Australia You are on a pretty big continent so no idea if you're close, but he may be able to guide you some. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Chalpaken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello from eastern Tennessee, USA!
Wow! Taming wild sheep, bet that will be interesting.
When I was younger I kept Katahdin hair sheep and Border Collies. We had a local group that would train and attend trials. Lot of fun!
My grandmother used to tell me how folks used salt to keep their free ranging stock tame.
What breed of chickens do you keep? I like your name combination.
I have French Black (and Blue) Copper Marans, English Buff Orpingtons, a few Sumatra, Easter Eggers, Barred Rock.
Keep Nubian dairy goats for milk,, yogurt, cheese. Used to show, too. Down sized as gotten older.
George, LGD keeps all safe from predators. Rita, pot belly pig, is the queen of all she surveys!
Happy to meet you! Post lots of pictures of your adventures getting things into shape.

Great to meet you :D. We mostly have mixed breeds - originally we had a few barnevelders and an australorp, back at our old house, but then we got a beautiful wyandotte cross. She was probably a silver lace wyandotte with some other breed in her. She was so unique :). Then we got two beautiful, fluffy chocolate-brown chickens (don't remember their breed unless they were a mix). One of them was unfortunately a rooster so he had to go. But the other one we called Melkya and she lives on today on our new land, though very old - she had two beautiful chicks (adults now) who are the exact same fluffiness with their chocolate brown, except with black neck marks from our rooster! We purchased him when we moved to rural land and he's a GORGEOUS barnevelder boy, over two years old. We only had six chickens before but now we have 20+ of them. They're pretty much all mixes, and all so beautiful!

I don't have as many photos on this device, but I'll post some later on my laptop :).

Thank you!

(PS Here's Melkya's brother, not as fluffy as a boy!)

Attachments

• IMG_20170402_105510_045.jpg
    IMG_20170402_105510_045.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 140

Chalpaken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. We have a very decent Aussie sheep farmer here on the site @The Old Ram-Australia You are on a pretty big continent so no idea if you're close, but he may be able to guide you some. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Thank you, I'll do that!

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day Chalpaken,as you settle in you will find this a great site with great people.If you indicate west Tassie/south Tassie /north Tassie or east Tassie that will be sufficient when you request help on a subject.Their are in fact quite a few Aussies who from time to time frequent the pages.The "trick" with those wild sheep could be to let them find their own way through a series of paddocks until you can "trap them" close to home ,then hand feed them(food overcomes all resistance in the long run,but patience is the key dont rush them and you will be fine) until you can get them shorn. I suggest you look at the MLA regs for your state re tagging and the like,we are in NSW and now have very strict regs on all things to do with sheep production ......T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wild sheep? I bet they are matted and need a good shearing! Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. We have hair Sheep, 9 ewes and a Ram. We have EE chickens, Australorps, and a trio of Silkies. Also a few Muscovy ducks, 3 horses, 2 Great Pyrenees and a pig.

Chalpaken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wild sheep? I bet they are matted and need a good shearing! Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. We have hair Sheep, 9 ewes and a Ram. We have EE chickens, Australorps, and a trio of Silkies. Also a few Muscovy ducks, 3 horses, 2 Great Pyrenees and a pig.

Yep, they do look like their wool is very overgrown! We don't have any paddocks at the moment but they're more trusting if you just hang around them for a while without bothering them. Once they let us close enough we'll try hand feeding!

Thank you everybody :).