Hello!!

Stephanie107

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, all. I just joined and have already learned so much from you all- thank you! We live in Central VA and are considering getting a couple wethers in the spring, assuming we can get them, so I am trying to learn as much as possible. I've helped a friend who has a goat dairy farm some so I know a little bit, but not much. My kids (people :) ) and I LOVE goats and my husband has accepted the fact that this is going to happen someday, so it might as well be now! He's hoping that they can help clear some brush we have in the wooded areas of our yard in addition to making us happy. :)

We are considering either pygmies or Nigerian dwarfs since they would be pets. My experience with helping has been with saanens and lamanchas. We are fortunate to have a couple acres of wooded area and meadow/ pasture. We do have predators like bears and coyotes, in addition to dogs, etc., so we're thinking of modifying one of the dog kennels with an indoor and outdoor area so they can have a fully protected indoor and covered/ enclosed outdoor area within whatever area we fence in. We would come up with a portable fence for the wooded areas for when they are foraging.

If anyone has any advice or would be willing to share other things we should be sure to think about/ prepare for I would appreciate it so much. I've also emailed a friend who has a couple Nigerian dwarfs to ask about their experience.

Thanks!!
Steph

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds exciting!! I am a fairly new goat owner and absolutely in love with them. I have 4 goats. Two wethers and two does.
Mine are mixes of Pigmy and Nigerian Dwarf plus a pure fainting Doe.
I have secured pens for night time and a large goat yard for during the day. I leash trained my goats and they drag leads when out foraging. I'm always with my goats though. I'm too scared to leave them out alone.

Stephanie107

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, Chickens really and B&B Happy goats!

Chickens really, can I ask what you think the main differences between the Pigmy and Nigerian Dwarfs are? If you had to choose one which would it be?

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Chickens really and B&B Happy goats!

Chickens really, can I ask what you think the main differences between the Pigmy and Nigerian Dwarfs are? If you had to choose one which would it be?

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day!
There really isn't much difference between them personality wise. Pygmy are meat goats and Nigerian are mostly a milk goat. I don't think I could choose between the breeds. I love them all. ❤️🐐🐐🐐🐐