Hello

THEChIcKeNwhisperer354

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bossy Cow --> 20201214_220905.jpg

20200625_084601.jpg<-- Bossy Cow is the big one. Cola Cow is the little one. (Cola is much bigger now)

20210304_174303.jpg<-- Cowlick (my teacher named her)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you have the beginning of a cow herd. You can AI them by a vet and raise calves. Nice cows, maybe they would have bull calves, castrate, raise and eat! We have a member here that is the BYH expert on cattle. She would be delighted to answer any questions and help you any way she can.
@farmerjan we have a young person here that is raising cattle, on the way to a herd!

THEChIcKeNwhisperer354

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does your family have cattle or is this something you decided to do on your own? I admire you for spending your money on cows. Are you going to maybe breed a couple and slaughter one? Those are nice cows.
My family has had a bull before but, we had to sell him. He kept breaking out of the fence. I plan on breeding all 3 and eating/selling the calves. They only have 2 acres maybe 2 and a halve I'm not sure. Thankyou this website seems a lot nicer then BYC.:gig

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH.... sorry, I have not had the time to go on the new member site much, I am in the middle of moving to a new-to-me, 100 yr old house and it needs work and trying to work my job and our beef cattle and all that.
Congratulations on having the foresight to spend your money on something more than useless junk. Especially for a young person. You will find that many of us are "older"..... like your grandparents age ..... but we like having any and EVERYONE join in.

I have to laugh... not at you but at the situation...... bulls tend to want to go roaming..... and get themselves in trouble. We had one that used to get out of the pasture, and then go lay alongside the road on the shoulder in the grass and watch the cars go by. We would have to go put him back in, just get him up and called him and he would very calmly walk back to the gate and in. Then the next day do it all over again.... Pain in the neck!!!!! Brought him back to the main farm and he kept getting out so had to go..... too much of a liability in case someone hit him or he actually went out into the road....
We have angus, and some herefords and charolais crosses.... we have a few other odd balls, but just commercial cattle that we raise calves on and sell the calves as feeders at about 500 lbs or so. Raise a few for beef too.

I also have chickens, some purebred New Hampshires and Black Langshan large fowl. Also cornish cross for meat.

@Baymule is right about the artificial breeding (AI) for getting them bred so you don't have to deal with a bull. Possibly rent a bull for a month or so from someone if you can't do that.
Glad to have you here... will try to answer any questions if possible.

THEChIcKeNwhisperer354

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH.... sorry, I have not had the time to go on the new member site much, I am in the middle of moving to a new-to-me, 100 yr old house and it needs work and trying to work my job and our beef cattle and all that.
Congratulations on having the foresight to spend your money on something more than useless junk. Especially for a young person. You will find that many of us are "older"..... like your grandparents age ..... but we like having any and EVERYONE join in.

I have to laugh... not at you but at the situation...... bulls tend to want to go roaming..... and get themselves in trouble. We had one that used to get out of the pasture, and then go lay alongside the road on the shoulder in the grass and watch the cars go by. We would have to go put him back in, just get him up and called him and he would very calmly walk back to the gate and in. Then the next day do it all over again.... Pain in the neck!!!!! Brought him back to the main farm and he kept getting out so had to go..... too much of a liability in case someone hit him or he actually went out into the road....
We have angus, and some herefords and charolais crosses.... we have a few other odd balls, but just commercial cattle that we raise calves on and sell the calves as feeders at about 500 lbs or so. Raise a few for beef too.

I also have chickens, some purebred New Hampshires and Black Langshan large fowl. Also cornish cross for meat.

@Baymule is right about the artificial breeding (AI) for getting them bred so you don't have to deal with a bull. Possibly rent a bull for a month or so from someone if you can't do that.
Glad to have you here... will try to answer any questions if possible.
My Grandpa has a friend that knows how to do AI. Our old bull was a dexter I think I was only 4 when we had him. One day he head-budded my dog in the air. My dog was fine and thought that was fun so he let the bull do that again... and again... until he got tired.