Hello!

PopsHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi!
We are new to goats and sheep. We’ve had Kiko goats in SE Arizona for about 7 months now and we just acquired a herd of American Blackbelly sheep. We are trying to learn as much as we can about both so we tend to lurk and absorb info.
Looking forward to being a better herd manager.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas. I raise Katahdin hair sheep. Would love to see pictures of your sheep and goats!

PopsHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome to BYH! :frow

Are the goats pets or brush control?
Hi! Thank you !
They are for meat. Although right now we are trying to build our herd up so I guess these originals can be put in the pet category temporarily. 🤷‍♀️ We only have four at the moment, but we have a doe due in November.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi! Thank you !
They are for meat. Although right now we are trying to build our herd up so I guess these originals can be put in the pet category temporarily. 🤷‍♀️ We only have four at the moment, but we have a doe due in November.
Meat is good!

And yes, often the main breeders end up a bit in the pet category! ;)

What is your goal herd size?

PopsHomestead

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Meat is good!

And yes, often the main breeders end up a bit in the pet category! ;)

What is your goal herd size?
Herd size? 🤔 I’ve never really thought of it. I guess what we can afford to care for. 🤷‍♀️ We have lots of acreage, but we live in the high desert so there isn’t much forage for a large part of the year. We’re working on amending the soil to help with that but I’m not sure how successful we’ll be.

SageHill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
AZ, monsoon season is great for forage, if you can keep everything else from eating the good stuff.
AHHH - gotcha. I've got a friend with sheep somewhere there too. The dog/sheep world.

Latest posts