Hello!

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've been a member of BYC for a while now, my user name over there is Sussex19.
We have had some goats for as long as I can remember, and now I am looking into getting some sheep.
We live in south-east NSW Australia, which is a sheep growing area, but I'm looking at just getting two or maybe three ewes and a ram for breeding lambs for our consumption.

goats&sheep19

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas! I raise Katahdin hair sheep. Love my sheep! What kind are y’all going to get?
I'm thinking of coloured Merinos, and maybe an Aussie white ram. (they are quite like Dorpers)
Do you have any thoughts on having wool ewes (so I can learn shearing, and use their wool) and a hair ram so their lambs are more meaty? Does that sound like a good plan?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where I used to teach they had a large flock of cross bred sheep - hair and wool - they would have a big shearing festival every spring. I was told by those who use the wool that the mix of hair and wool was not the best for their purposes - there would be hair mixed in with the wool and the wool did not have as tight a crimp (think those were the words) that they really like. Of course they still took fleeces and the crafters liked it.
I'm sure you'll get a better answer from others here who have wool sheep.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking of coloured Merinos, and maybe an Aussie white ram. (they are quite like Dorpers)
Do you have any thoughts on having wool ewes (so I can learn shearing, and use their wool) and a hair ram so their lambs are more meaty? Does that sound like a good plan?
As long as it is a terminal cross and you don’t keep the lambs, for the reasons @SageHill said. Also if the ram is shedding, his hair will mingle with the wool. You might have to time breeding right after you shear.