1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Goat Hooves
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Baby goat with cloudy eye and pneumonia

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Injuries, Diseases, and Cures' started by SandyNubians, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Apr 2, 2017
    SandyNubians

SandyNubians Ridin' The Range

Hi! Im needing help, and fast! Long story short I found a doe for sale on Craigslist and she had a broken leg and had just gave birth to triples about a 6 days ago and the one baby who survived couldn't stand and he had cloudy eye. A friend was going to text them and say she would take them and put them both down because the owner didn't want to, but I said no I need to at least try and save them. I picked them up about an hour ago. The baby has a cloud eye they said that it was in the other eye and that cleared up but then it went to the eye it is in now. He most definitely has pneumonia as they have been feeding him lying down and he is very raspy. He is sucking on a bottle though. He can't stand, and his back legs have almost no mussle. His mother has a broken leg (they said they don't know how she got it) I need to take their splint off and add a better one. She doesn't seem like she is in pain at all, she just can put pressure on that leg and it is kinda just hanging there. I can clearly feel her bones moving inside her skin. It also feels like her joint where her bone is broken has fluid around it. Mom also has a very hard udder I cannot milk it I was able to milk one side but the other is rock hard. I'll be running to D&B soon and would like to know what I should get there. I know that I shouldn't have got her but I NEEDED to try and save her! Both are pure fainting goats if that helps with anything.

The does udder. The small teat is the one I can't milk.
    IMG_20170402_152034644.jpg

This is her leg IMG_20170402_152006925.jpg

This is the baby's eye
    IMG_20170402_151951868.jpg
    IMG_20170402_151958291.jpg this is how he has lying down. He tries to stand but can't. He also does alot of teeth grinding and he is having a hard time breathing.
    IMG_20170402_152044960.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

2. Apr 2, 2017
    NH homesteader

NH homesteader Herd Master

I appreciate you wanting to save them, poor things are in really rough shape!
    I am not an expert, although I have had goats for several years. In my opinion, with the severity of their illnesses and the fact that at least the baby is in pain if he's grinding his teeth, they really need to be seen by a vet ASAP.

I will tag a few people who have more goat experience than me

@Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer @babsbag @frustratedearthmother

And many more who I'm sure I'm forgetting...

3. Apr 2, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

More than likely vitamin deficiency. I believe it is Vitamin A.
    Chlamydia can cause eye issues, weak joints and unthrifty kids I believe.
    This kid should be seen by a vet asap, you may be able to do something for it.
    More than likely there is severe deficiency in both kid and mom.

The hard udder could be mastitis, CAE etc.

The dams hooves are severely overgrown and obviously not cared for.

Just keep in mind that this goat and the kid should not be anywhere near your goats. This is how you bring in deadly diseases that affect whole herds.

Mycoplasma, CAE, Johnes...

alsea1, NH homesteader and babsbag like this.
  4. Apr 2, 2017
    Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Herd Master

I agree with what has already been said.

You need to get a vet out tomorrow/ASAP.

Having a vet come to you would be best, less stress. The vet can at least evaluate and get them started on the right meds, but you will still need to x ray the leg.

alsea1 and NH homesteader like this.
  5. Apr 2, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

OK, I agree with the vet. BUT. I would start that baby on oxcytetracycline ASAP. I would also try to massage the udder and milk that side. Hot compresses, peppermint udder balm. She could just have a congested udder or it could be more severe but you can at least try to milk her until you can get a vet to see her. Take her temp, that will tell you if it is mastitis, they usually run a fever, but not always.

Get mama some good feed, alfalfa pellets, calf manna, a good mineral. But go slow. Also Bo-Se for mama and baby.

The cloudy eye could be mycoplasma or chlamydia, neither are good and neither are something you want in your herd. I don't know if goats get eye infections from respiratory infections or not, something to ask the vet. Eye infections are very contagious so good hygiene is crucial.

You are a good soul to try and help, but this might be a tough save.

6. Sep 12, 2017
    Goatgirl47

Goatgirl47 True BYH Addict

Any updates?

Green Acres Farm likes this.
  7. Sep 13, 2017
    Eteda

Eteda Ridin' The Range

It also could be white muscle disease in the kid. it is simply a lack of vitamin E. if so the bo-se will take care of it. But there is more going on than just that internally. the eye looks like the result of an eye injury possibly also. I've had lambs injure their eyes and i put a triple antibiotic eye ointment in it twice a day for 10 days and it looked just as bad. however wait to long and it may not recover. the vet will have that. grinding teeth says pain. sounds like coccidiosis, could be pneumonia you do need a vet to help diagnose them. The sooner the better. Im glad you are giving them a chance. the broken leg will heal. if not.... goats do great on three legs and raise kids while living a full and happy life. The kid probably needs an injectable antibiotic. their are others out their besides oxytetracycline that are easier on the digestive system of small ruminants. when you get time later check up on those with your vet. your vet will have them also. however in the mean time i'm in your corner. Id a done the same thing. its just right to have unconditional love. My little joy was blind due to an eye infection at 3 weeks. now today she has full site back. it took almost a year for 100%. but she functioned in the herd just fine with separate feeding the first month even though she regained a lot of her sight within a few days. Im hoping its not something as in the previous post. Im praying for the simple things. :fl:clap:thumbsup let us know how they are getting on.

Goatgirl47 likes this.
  8. Sep 13, 2017
    Eteda

Eteda Ridin' The Range

the " today" mastitis treatment could be used after you milk her out as much as possible. until you can get a milk sample to the vet. you disinfect the bag with iodine, wipe the tip of the nipple with alcohol. squirt the first two or three squirts of milk out and then hold a sterile syringe under the stream of milk without touching anything and get it least 1 ml sample. I leave the cap on the needle of a 3ml syringe and use that to collect my samples. wear sterile gloves if you can or disinfect your hands as best you can. the sample can and will be tainted with any bacteria you introduce while taking the sample. massage massage massage and massage some more. not real hard. firm and relaxing so she will also let down what milk she can, warm compresses help. the Two Old Goats lotion has 6 natural inflammatories in it and its not toxic to the kids if they nurse. you may not get any where for an half hour or so then all of a sudden you will get a little hair size squirt of milk, then two and that is how it starts. the next time it is back to square one but the milk happens faster and their is a little more, and so on. when you use the "today" it helps to hold the end of the teat so it cant come out and gently moving it and massaging it up the teat canal toward her mammary glands in her bag.