Help! Baby kid goat

kristal fults

Just born
Reaction score
I recently bought two 6 week old kid goat female twins. The seller said they were eating grain and hay and occasionally a bottle. I think she was lying! I called her after they developed diarrhea and she revealed she had bought them a few weeks ago and so I don’t know why they were taken from mom so early. They refuse grain and hay.... I have tried multiple varieties. They do eat grass and weeds.
Within a few days they developed diarrhea. I gave them electrolyte in a bottle and took to vet. Vet treated for Coccidia. Said to give electrolytes and probiotics in bottle for hydration and no grain or milk until diarrhea cleared. After a week and half and still mushy poop, I took another stool sample in. They said fecal float all negative and now I need to bottle feed cow milk and offer hay and feed with top dressed minerals. Said mushy poop is from too much water and not enough solids.
They are eager for 3 bottles a day and graze off and on throughout the day.
Anna the one who showed cocci, after bottle feeding she goes and stands off by herself and looks miserable. I have added a pinch of baking soda to bottles as I read it helps with digestion.
I want my babies to be well and happy.
I am new to goats and feel overwhelmed
The vet told me 6-8 Oz 3 times a day. Maybe that is too much?? I have read it is bad to over bottle feed a kid.
Any help greatly appreciated

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome , and so sorry you are having these problems...hay right now is best for the tummy, can you get them in a area where they can not eat anything other than hay ? remove the baking soda from the picture, add some probiotics to one bottle a day (very little amount) ...at six to eight weeks of age .... 8 to 12 oz 3x per day whole milk (i warm it up) is what my nigerians drink....keep loose minerals available for them to eat....
This is what I do here in Florida when I rescue a young kid, when they are poopin normal berries, I then offer a small amount of goat pellets, I don't use grain unless I am milking....your post doesn’t say if they have had their CD&T shots or if they have been wormed by vet....
If you can let us know what state you are located in ,then that can be more helpful in giving you some more answers to your questions....
The easiest way to tell if they have had enough milk is to jiggle the tummy, if it jiggles and feels full that is enough. If it is full and tight....too much milk.
I hope this helps you some, it is what i do here in parasite haven, good luck with your girls, it is obvious you will be a good goat ma ma :)

kristal fults

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks! They were never vaccinated and vet said wait until improvement from cocci treatment. So I will be picking that up today.
I live in southwest Louisiana. vet detected no worms and said do routine worm next month when they are better.
They are part pigmy and part Nigerian. They weighed 5 and 6 pounds at vet at 6 weeks.
I think they were malnourished from the person I got them from because she was not bottle feeding. She said they were eating hay and sweet feed, occasionally nursing off one of her dairy goats) but I don’t believe it. I purchased goat medicated grower and alpha hay ( they won’t touch it) They will suck 6-8 Oz of milk or electrolyte ( when I was giving electrolytes) but then seemed miserably full after each feeding. Today at each feeding I gave 5 Oz and they did so much better.
The previous owner got them at 3wks old and sold to me at 5 weeks old. I don’t think she wanted to be bothered with bottle feeding an lied about them eating hay.
I lock them in their barn at night 7pm with hay and water. No sign they touch it and about 7 am they cry and cry for me to bring a bottle.
I think they first had cocci and then I was over feeding them ( letting them suck until disinterested ) plus vet said milk replacer is not tolerated as well and use whole cows milk.
My plan is to do smaller feedings milk more often ( 4xday) until their tummies settle down then move to 3 times a day.
I just want them healthy! Thanks