Help calm my nerves, tell me what to do...

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Bear Foot Farm said:
And I'd also strip the wax plug BEFORE the lamb starts to nurse.
It only takes a second, and shows you the milk is actually flowing.
I agree. After my ewes lamb I always strip the plug, and put the lamb on the teat so I KNOW it's nursing and I don't have to wonder. Another little trick is to watch the lamb's tail while he's nursing. Usually they wiggle it really fast when they're getting milk. Sometimes first-time ewes don't let the lambs nurse. In this case, I always halter them and tie them so I can hold the lambs up and make sure they nurse. Usually it only takes once or sometimes twice before the ewe figures out what she's supposed to do.

I'd go to the library and get a book on raising sheep ASAP if I were you. There are lots of books out there, a common one is Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep.

You need to have 7% iodine on hand to dip navels, and I dip feet too.

I'd leave the two ewes together, because separating them might cause them stress. Sheep need to be with other sheep.

You don't need to re-bed every day, just make sure it doesn't get too dirty.

As far as lambing, keep watching the udder (I responded to your other thread) for signs of bagging up. And if she goes off feed that's a big sign that she's in labor or ready to go. You'll want to keep a close eye on her at this point. The normal birthing position for lambs is two front feet first, followed closely by the nose/head, then the body. If the hooves are pointing down (soles of hoof towards the ground), that's the correct way. If for some reason the hooves are not facing down, the position is wrong and you'll have to assist. If only a nose comes out first, that means the legs are back and you'll have to assist. This is where your sheep raising book really comes in handy so you can see pictures of the proper position and learn how to assist if needed.

Once the lamb is born, you should dip the navel (and hooves if you want to) as soon as possible. Really make sure the whole cord and navel area is covered with the 7% iodine, as this helps it dry up and prevent navel ill. I like to be as hands off as possible while the ewe is cleaning the lambs. You want to keep an eye on her to make sure she passes the placenta, she should pass it within a few hours of lambing. Keep an eye out in case she has twins too. I'm pretty good at knowing when a ewe still has a lamb in there, by looking at the vulva and what's coming out of it (placenta, tisssue, etc), but that comes with time and is hard to explain on a forum. ;) If your two ewes are in a smallish pen together (not out in an open field) then you can just keep them there together unless the other ewe is butting the babies or interfering too much with the momma ewe.

As long as the babies are dry and out of any drafts, they should be ok, but heat lamps are a good thing to have just in case. You can hang one at a level just above the ewe's back (so she doesn't get burned) in case the lamb gets cold. I'm not sure how cold it is where you are, but you might want to have one just in case.

I'd definitely get a book if I were you, or do some reading online and look at birthing positions and how to help if needed. It's nice to be prepared! Good luck and I'm sure you'll do fine!

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OK Miss
where are they?
where are they?

come on darn ewe already

:lol:

you know she is going to lamb when you are not there..LOL

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, it's been busy the last few days.... but no lambs yet. :p

Thanks Aggie--great advice, most of which I am doing, or am ready to do, so whew, now I can breathe. :) I do have books, and have read so much online, that my head starts to spin. I'll be much better once they come.

I finally got my wonderful dh to "show " me how to take pics from the camera onto the computer. I humour him in pretending like I know what he's talking about, making him feel confident that I will be able to do it myself next time, but we all know better.
anyhoo, here are the pics. I didn't get a face view of her to show how wide she is, but the bag is starting to fill up. Her appetite is still voracious, so we still have time. Not to mention that she is not engorged yet. but considering I'm green at this, I'll let you experts decide. (Here you go FC--I'm thinking about ya :p)

113_img_5826_1.jpg
[/img]

113_img_5824_1.jpg
[/img]

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Aggie, I just read your post on Justusnak's thread, and if that's true, then I have a long way to go!!! But she is so huge!!!!! I will get pics of her front view up tomorrow, now if I could only remember how to put them on the computer... ( i'll have to get my kids to do it,. jk)

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
oh yea seems like it isn't time yet
you have a bit to go

she can be a monster depending on how many is in there.

my red boer cross gets insanely huge...usually trips in there. And I swear she will burst, but she never does...HAHA

we will all have to wait a bit :(

miss_thenorth

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
miss_thenorth said:
She's getting there, but she's not ready yet. But watch out though. Sometimes they are slow and steady bagging up, and some of them seem to bag up overnight. ;)
Thanks!! Your picture was (is) very helpful. NOw I have something to look for. Her appetite is voracious again this morning, and I'm keeping an eye on the bag. Other than that, we are all set.