Help! Cookie dough is sick!?

AllTheAnimals1315

Just born
Reaction score
I had gotten my first rabbit from Grant- and friend who's family owns a farm. He had gotten a certin lady rabbit prego too many times and they didn't want him anymore. About 2 weeks after I had him, he had no use of his back legs at all. ( we had in a rabbit cage on the floor before we built the rabbit condo) Mom said Christopher (who was 5 then) had tried taking him out of the cage and dropped him on the floor (concret) We really didn't know what was happing. Now I look back and wonder why we didn't take him to the vet 3 days later he had use of his right back leg, but was still dragging his left. I have to give him baths because he gets his poo stuck to his private parts and now, a year later, his leg. When he walks his legs are always supporting him, but he wobbles. Now I feel him and I can feel his spine bones. He eats A TON though.
Help please! I don't know what to do

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would really recommend taking him to a vets- if $ is an issue they should understand and can work to give him care while keeping costs as low as possible. It could be neurologic or injury based from a fall. Depending on where the injury is and how he uses his back legs, skinny can be from a lack of muscle use.

It could also be worms, my mind set is that it doesnt hurt to do scheduled worming but it can not to. I used to worm my rabbits for coccidia here and there. That can cause weight loss.

If he is down for extended periods, watch him closely for pressure sores. or urine scalding. Also blood clots can form with animals down for long period- that is if he is down, it seems he is getting around a bit based on your posts.

It is good that you are cleaning him very regularly, that will help with urine scalding and skin irritation.

See what other rabbit people say..........

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have to agree with the trip to the vet. But I am no expert, just someone with a pet bunny. Hope he gets better!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I also say to take him to the vet. It sounds like a complex problem that would be hard to diagnose over the internet.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is any real help for this rabbit after all this time. If you had taken him to a vet shortly after the injury, most likely the vet would have recommended putting him down. Rabbits are very prone to spinal injuries, and most of the time they don't recover. If you had refused to allow the vet to euthanize him, they might have done a course of steroids to reduce the inflammation at the site of the injury, in hopes of saving the nerves in his back. Your rabbit is a "lucky" one - he has managed a partial recovery, but is unlikely to get any better at this point.

Most of the flesh on a rabbit's back is muscle. With only very limited use of his back legs, this rabbit isn't exercising the muscles on his back, and they are atrophying (wasting away). There isn't really anything that can be done about that - the nerve damage after a year is almost certainly permanent. With so little muscle, I'd be afraid that any sort of therapeutic exercises might further injure his severely compromised spine.

I salute you for doing all you can to keep him clean and comfortable. He's eating well, so he probably isn't in a great deal of pain. I understand the difficulty of taking a rabbit to a vet, knowing that a single vet visit will likely cost more than the rabbit's monetary value!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would put the poor rabbit out of it's misery as their is little if any hope for it's recovery. A trip to the Vets will be very expensive and of no value to the rabbit after this leangth of time.