HELP! Day 157 and No Kids!

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a FF doe (Togg/Apline cross) that surprised us when she started developing an udder late in May. We had a buck here until March 1st, but he was tiny and I didn't think he would/could do anything with the girls.

Assuming she got pregnant on the day he left us, 150 days was July 29th.

She is bigger than the other doe we have of the same age (never bred) but she's not as big as other pregnant does we've had in the past. She shows no impending signs of labour, and is eating, drinking, and eliminating normally.

I tried palpating to see if I can feel a kid. On the right side, in the indentation below her spine, I can feel a little lump. It feels the same as my own babies when I've been pregnant, and is not present on the other doe. I have not felt it move, however, nor can I get it to move with pushing or prodding.

Her udder is producing milk, though I have not tasted it.

How overdue is too overdue? Should I be able to feel more than a little "lump" when feeling for kids? Should I be able to feel it moving?

I posted another thread a few weeks back because this doe was developing an uneven udder. It is still the same, though the small side is getting a little bigger now. She does not have mastitis (as discussed on the other thread). Is it maybe possible she has a false pregnancy?

Any insight is appreciated.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm going from memory here... I believe several folks on here have or have had does (whose oven temp ran a little lower? and hence they) delivered kids as late as 161-162 days. When the doe is getting ready to start going into labor, from what I understand, the kids stop moving around as much. Aside from having a vet do an ultrasound, I guess you could give it another 4-5 days and keep your :fl either way. I'm sorry I can't help more. Maybe some of the others have ideas/suggestions...

@babsbag @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @OneFineAcre @frustratedearthmother @ragdollcatlady Anyone else?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have heard that it isn't uncommon for Alpines to go over day 155. It still freaks me out and I'm glad our alpine didn't wait that long!

You can give the doe some nutridrench and about 10-15 minutes later bounce her. With the extra sugars the kid should be more active. I like to place my hands right in front of the udder and bounce upwards.

If you are worried that she has a dead kid, take her temp daily. If she spikes a temp you know you have a problem.

Goats can have false pregnancies, it is pretty rare though. It can be quite shocking when your goats expels a bunch of water bags with no kid :eek:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had my Alpine does go to day 161 or maybe it was 163...a few years ago. Going over day 155 is no big deal around my barn, I am more surprised when that go before 155. Beyond that I am not much help. With the many many kids I have born I have never bounced a doe or felt for the kids. But I agree With @Goat Whisperer that taking her temp is a good idea.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you!! I will start taking her temps daily to make sure nothing is awry. It is reassuring to know that 155 days is not a hard-and-fast rule.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay, so I've just had my neighbour stop in who raised goats growing up. He doesn't think she's actually pregnant and he called her a "virgin milker." In his experienced opinion, she isn't big enough to be past-due. Anyone heard of this? I Googled it, and it does exist ...

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry, but I am no help here.

Most of my goats are nigerians and they tend to go on days 142-145.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer Thanks for the link! It was very informative.

So if she still hasn't kidded by day 162/163 as @babsbag noted above, should I just assume she's got a precocious udder? I'm guessing there's no test, aside from having an ultrasound to show she isn't actually expecting.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks @Green Acres Farm

Would the milk from a precocious udder be good to drink? I tried a little tonight and it tasted funny. It had a milk consistency, but there was something different about the flavour.