HELP! Day 157 and No Kids!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The milk should be ok to drink, but if I was going to start milking her I would milk for a few days and toss it. I just like getting rid of milk that has been in the udder for a while. Probably just me being weird... :idunno Does it look yellow at all?

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You're not weird. I totally get what you're saying. :thumbsup

The milk looked white to me. I'll wait until I know for sure that she's not going to kid, and then I'll milk the "old stuff" out of there and see what happens.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
YAY! Goats milk without all the associated stuff! :D

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with you there @babsbag I admit I was kind of excited to see another kid in the run, but I'm okay with her just coming into milk without one.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I mentioned before that have two does that come into milk every year without freshening so in a way that is a precocious udder...they just aren't "virgin" milkers. I have always milked them with no problem.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I mentioned before that have two does that come into milk every year without freshening so in a way that is a precocious udder...they just aren't "virgin" milkers. I have always milked them with no problem.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
UPDATE: There is still no kid. I spoke with our vet. She is thinking along the lines of a pseudo pregnancy over a precocious udder. Her reasoning is that we did not milk the doe (believing she was pregnant) and she feels a truly precocious udder would have dried up. The udder started developing at the end of May, and we are now mid-August. She feels that there are hormones driving the production of milk, and said it may be possible to bring on a full lactation if we start milking her. Interesting!

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:barnie I thought I had updated!!!

So, NO kids. I spoke with our vet and she felt that it was likely a pseudo pregnancy. She feels that a precocious udder wouldn't have lasted for months with no milking, so there are hormones driving Cookie's body to make milk. Her udder is still large with milk, but I am a useless milker, so I'm not getting much out. Our neighbour said to just leave her and she will dry up, and our vet said she could administer something to dry her up quickly for breeding.

Latest posts