HELP: Dog Bitten Heifer.. what to do now?

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This beautiful girl was bitten by a dog at her previous home and was given no care, just dumped at the local auction. I bought her for $5 and had my fingers crossed that i could fix it. The bite wounds are on her back 'ankle'.

I bought her on Oct. 2nd
Spoke with the Vet & Started a round of Pennicillin & was also doing salt soaks and using drawing salve. Also using a pain & anti-inflammitory on her too. This reduced the size of her ankle by more than half.

After 5 days, I gave her a 6 day break from the Pennicillin but continued the other treatments. The ankle didn't improve but also didn't get any worse.

I started a second round of Pennicillin a few days ago and am still using the salve, it's draining better & she is using it some too now. I just picked up a second antibiotic today (Durramycin-200)
& will start it tonight along with the Pennicillin and PRAY FOR IMPROVEMENT.

We are trying to find some stuff we have used in the past on the horses, i cannot remember the name of it but it's for large wounds & is like a drawing compound. We are considering opening the "squishy"/fluidy-feeling area on the back of her ankle up and applying this to pull all the crap out.

What else should/can I do for this girl??

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
To me it sounds like you're doing great with the meds and all. Be careful how you open up the abscessed area as you could invite more infection. Is she eating and drinking normally?

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is eating & drinking like a PIGGY! It hasn't affected her appetite one bit so far. she was a little thin & "blah" when we brougth her home though but sfter we lanced the small areas and got it cleaned and wrapped she felt much better and has been good since.

I am just worried about it getting really bad because it's ben there for the 2 weeks i have had her and then however long before that, and obviously had no care before they brought her to auction.

This pic is about a week old(salve on her leg), i will try to get one of her out in the yard or at least standing and a good shot of the leg if it'll help.

108_0095.JPG

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The foot/leg doesn't look all that bad to me. I've seen worse ones that resolved quite well. In my other post, I recommended Tylan 200. It's totally different from Duramycin 200, which is a penicillin derivative, and not much different from what you've been using. I would try to find some Tylan 200 if possible. It has done a great job for me when I've had cattle with similar infections. Use it along with the Penicillin, and you will have two modes of action against the infection.

Whatever you do, this will take a bit of time, and you must have patience. Give her at least 2 months to clear the infection from her system. As long as she's eating and acting normally, she's making progress. Good luck!

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you jhm47, It really eases my mind getting advice from someone that's dealt with similar injuries. She did get a shot of the Duramycin last night and again tonight. I will stop that and try to find the Tylan 200.

She was using her leg today though, she was actually all over the yard chowing down on grass all day & enjoying the sunshine. Considering her injury this girl can MOVE, especially if she thinks or knows you have grain for her! :lol:

I wonder if the Duramycin helped with the pain at all? i was just amazed at how much she was using that leg today.

These are pictures that I took about 1 week after I got her, the leg is smaller now. I will try to get new pics tomorrow. Right now the 2 wounds/holes closest to the top of each picture are still open & draining.
10.jpg

11.jpg

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You could try using some Bag Balm on the leg. I've found that it works wonders on thing like that. I've had somilar things happen to a goat and a chicken when the neighbor's dog got loose and gave us a visit.

The penicilan is a good thing along with the salt bath. When you lance the back squishy part place it directly in the ebsom salt bath to drain. the salt will help to draw the infection out and to close it up later once it drains. It's good that it is draining and her body is naturally flushing out the infection.

Just smear some Bag Balm or neosporin on the abscess after you lance and soak it. This will help to draw the rest of the infection out.

I've had this work on the goat and even on my horse with her foot abscess.

If she's eating, drinking, and up walking about, then i'm sure she'll be fine. Especially if she has the energy to graze.

It's sad how some animal owners will just let things like that go and would rather send them to auction than fix it.

I'm sure she'll end up being a good heiffer for you later on.