Help! Dying goats!

Danaeh

Just born
Reaction score
We are very new to goat farming. We started off with 6 with 5 banded. All male of course. 3 of them have since died. 2 we just found in the morning not moving. The last one was rather bothersom... Because it was during the day and we were able to see what's going on. This morning, the boat would not get up. It almost looked like there was something covering it's eyes and he couldn't open them. I was hoping that he would get up but it never happened later on, he started have ridiculous amounts of some kind of fluid coming out his nose! He was still breathing but very slow. He was also making the goat noise (I don't know the term for it) like he was trying to make it. We ended up putting him out of his misery but what on earth could be going on?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to have a necropsy done to find out exactly what's going on.

I would start reading and trying to learn everything I could about goats. Find a good veterinarian and start asking questions. Do you have a mentor who can help you learn to recognize the signs of illness before your goat becomes so very ill that it can't be saved?

Unfortunately, there is not enough information in your post for anyone to try and diagnose anything for you. How old were these goats? What are you feeding them? Were they bottle babies or weaned or adult? How about their stools...soft, runny or normal? Did the goats have an elevated temperature? Did you check the color of their eyelid membranes? Pale pink to white would indicate anemia most often caused by parasites. Did they have a persistent cough?

Hope you can find some answers.

Danaeh

Just born
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to have a necropsy done to find out exactly what's going on.

I would start reading and trying to learn everything I could about goats. Find a good veterinarian and start asking questions. Do you have a mentor who can help you learn to recognize the signs of illness before your goat becomes so very ill that it can't be saved?

Unfortunately, there is not enough information in your post for anyone to try and diagnose anything for you. How old were these goats? What are you feeding them? Were they bottle babies or weaned or adult? How about their stools...soft, runny or normal? Did the goats have an elevated temperature? Did you check the color of their eyelid membranes? Pale pink to white would indicate anemia most often caused by parasites. Did they have a persistent cough?

Hope you can find some answers.

No I do not have anyone to mentor me. No one around me has goats. The goats are less than a year old. We are grazing them but we were feeding them beer mash at the start but switched to triple grain hay then now we are at grazing the weeds. We got them when they were just weaned from the bottle. Stool has been normal. I have no idea about the temperature and I couldn't get the eyes to open it was like they were sealed shut. They did have a persistent cough! But I thought coughing was normal for goats. Thank you so much for your help!

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So sorry you are going through this! Especially since it's your first time having goats. Necropsy is good, like frustratedearthmother said, but I think you had better get a vet out ASAP. Maybe you'll be able to save a couple of them.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with drdoolittle. It would be great to have your remaining goats evaluated by a veterinarian. And while you're there - ask tons of questions!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Persistent coughs aren't normal. Occasional coughs are okay.

Fluid coming out of the nose is bad. Your goats may have caught bacterial pneumonia. Here's a link about it: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pneumonia06.html
Other issues might be nosebots, CL, or some other disease. A necropsy might tell you something. Get a vet to examine the kids you still have.

Good luck!

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We are very new to goat farming. We started off with 6 with 5 banded. All male of course. 3 of them have since died. 2 we just found in the morning not moving. The last one was rather bothersom... Because it was during the day and we were able to see what's going on. This morning, the boat would not get up. It almost looked like there was something covering it's eyes and he couldn't open them. I was hoping that he would get up but it never happened later on, he started have ridiculous amounts of some kind of fluid coming out his nose! He was still breathing but very slow. He was also making the goat noise (I don't know the term for it) like he was trying to make it. We ended up putting him out of his misery but what on earth could be going on?

So long since any post. Can you give us an update? Were you able to get a vet? I really hope your remaining 2 are still "remaining". Let us know how things have been going.