Help...Early Birthing!

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
https://www.arba.net/PDFs/palpation.pdf Here's an article on palpation. I'm no good at it, either, but its always worth a shot! Its a lot easier in does who have kindled before, because the muscles in the abdomen have relaxed. Good luck on your litter! What breed will the kits be?

Crazybirdlady2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for the link. I read it and it does seem easy. And I've seen my dad do it many times when he was alive. And he always seemed to know how many bunnies there were going to be. I'll have to practice before I breed again. My does are gentle, maybe they won't complain to much.

The father is my avatar, VM , and the doe is a larger (8-9 pounds) blue-grey agouti colored crossbred of some sort. My other does are a Californian and a brown spotted doe with the prettiest eyes. She looks like she has on fake eyelashes and lots of mascara.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you palapate have an open doe and check her too, for comparison. It's helped me, but yes I struggle still with it.

Crazybirdlady2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Bunny update...no bunnies. Yesterday was day 31 for "Blu" and she stopped doing anything, except for looking at my husband and I like we're the crazy ones.o_O But we will wait a few more days.:pop Day 31 for my spotted doe is tomorrow. :fl And my Californian doe is due closer to the end of the month.

Crazybirdlady2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well..sad to say no bunnies this time.:hitDay 35 for one doe and 33 on the other. And now the weather is crazy HOT! Going to look for a older/bigger buck this weekend and wait for the temperature to drop.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Palpation is super easy after you find the embryos the first time. They can hide them up by the ribs or fat can hide them, too.
Poop is hard and gritty when rubbed together. Embryos are more squishy, usually larger and glide when rubbed.

Crazybirdlady2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My Californian doe is past 2 weeks... I'm not by my calendar, but I think her 27th day is on the 21st. Would it be possible to palpate her now for practice? Even if she's still open, I won't rebreed til it gets cooler.... we have 105° heat index yesterday and today. The rest of July isn't looking much better.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've felt them on day 11 through to just a couple days before kindling. I used to feel up all my rabbits, bucks, too, lol. Eventually, I felt something different and checked her every few days, was sure by the 3rd check and she kindled soon after.

Latest posts