Help!!! Elvis is bleeding!!

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, so this morning when I went out to make sure all my animals have water I noticed Elvis all hunched over. Weird by itself, but then I noticed the BLOOD dripping from his penis!!!! I'm so scared. Have called the vet and am waiting for a call back, but I am freaking out about this. Now he is almost 'humping' the air.
What is going on??!!??

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hang in there! Hope it's nothing too serious! Can't remember his age to think if it may be UC or not. Is there any chance he may have jumped over something and caught it? Is he bleeding from internally or from the sheath? You'd need to take a look and try to determine where the blood is coming from. If he hurt himself down there, he'd be in pain and that could explain the humping/hunching...

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He's around 8 months old. I'm about to go really check it out. Will update in a few minutes

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
At 8 months, it "could" be UC... if it is, then the blood is/could be internal "tearing" of the urethra as he tries to pass the stone(s). If it is UC, he'll need to be seen by a vet. It could be a "simple" thing like a UTI of some sort that antibiotics would clear up. If it is an infection (UTI) I'd expect him to have an elevated temperature... If it's not an apparent/obvious injury, I'd be taking temp next (while waiting for vet call back).

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At 8 months, it "could" be UC... if it is, then the blood is/could be internal "tearing" of the urethra as he tries to pass the stone(s). If it is UC, he'll need to be seen by a vet. It could be a "simple" thing like a UTI of some sort that antibiotics would clear up. If it is an infection (UTI) I'd expect him to have an elevated temperature... If it's not an apparent/obvious injury, I'd be taking temp next (while waiting for vet call back).
It is actually from the penis... He isn't acting like he's in a lot of pain, but I imagine he's in pain... How do I take a goat's temp?? I mean, I know HOW, but what's a normal temp??

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Normal temp is 102-103. Anything higher than that generally indicates an infection. Since the blood is coming from the penis my first thought would be UC. second option would be UTI, especially if he's running a temp. Hope your vet gets back to you soon or that you can get Elvis to him/her. Also hope it's a "goat knowledgeable" vet. Please let us know how things go.

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Will do. I'm still waiting :/

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you have a way to take Elvis to them? I know the vets here wont do farm calls unless its an emergency life and death before 4pm.
Not a 'livestock vet'. There's a small animal vet that I could take him to, but I'm not sure if they even take goats. I will call and find out, though.... Thank god my vet does farm calls

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If your vet does farm calls, is there any way that you could perhaps meet up with him/her some place? or catch them back at the home base/clinic? I'm sure it would be cheaper than a farm call and perhaps get results/answers sooner...