Help! Fatty goat having problems :(

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So my goatie Coco, I am pretty sure she is preggers. She can't be due until about March 10th at the earliest though unless the lady I bought her from lied. She seemed like she was pretty upfront but she also said she was ready to be bred right away so there is that little nagging doubt that maybe Coco may have had some kind of contact before I got her that she didn't tell me about, but at the same time her udder is not growing yet so.... I really think maybe she just has a lot of kids in there. I have felt them moving already so I'm pretty sure she is pregnant. Anyways, onto the problem. It seems she is already walking really slow & with a lot of effort. She also seems to be breathing heavier already. She also looks like she doesn't feel well sometimes & gets really gassy. She still does have an appetite. It worries me though because she has so much longer to go & Enya who is due any day now can still run around the paddock easily & does not seem to have any troubles breathing or getting around. Is this normal for Coco? Is something wrong with her or is Enya just a freak of nature??? Thanks.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
If she has a long way to go, it is not normal for her to be having this much trouble. She could be having toxemia problems. Sounds like she needs some bloodwork.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well the thing is other than the slower movement the other stuff kind of comes & goes. She is not always breathing heavy or acting like she doesn't feel well. Also she's not really a big mover to begin with she is a stocky girl, built like a tank really. But, at the same time like you said she has 5 weeks to go (I think) so I'm worried she's having problems at all. I do have the vet coming on Friday so I will ask him while he is here what he thinks. I was hoping to get my mind eased here but I guess only a couple more days to worry about it.... :( If it is this toxemia what can I do for her??

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
I had a boer doe that did that and more when she was still a month out from kidding. She was so big, when she laid down she'd have to pant and would lay there and moan. It was awful. But she kidded on schedule and had 3 large doelings! Could just be the babies are taking up every available space, including breathing room!

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
Well the thing is other than the slower movement the other stuff kind of comes & goes. She is not always breathing heavy or acting like she doesn't feel well. Also she's not really a big mover to begin with she is a stocky girl, built like a tank really. But, at the same time like you said she has 5 weeks to go (I think) so I'm worried she's having problems at all. I do have the vet coming on Friday so I will ask him while he is here what he thinks. I was hoping to get my mind eased here but I guess only a couple more days to worry about it.... :( If it is this toxemia what can I do for her??
If she is at risk for toxemia make sure she gets plenty of high energy feed. Mix some corn in with her grain.

Latest posts