HELP FEEDING Mixed Herd

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The owner knows you are planning on feeding his animals?

This seems like a strange situation to me, you feeding them. I think it would be better to work directly with him. Suggest a partnership, where you derive some benefit from these cows and livestock. You need to be working together to provide for them if you want to contribute. You need to give him a way to save face. Animals need the same food consistently and not have sudden windfalls. Anything beyond hand-feeding a little hay.

If he will not do any better and the animals condition is so poor that you feel you must supplement, perhaps you need to do one of two things. Either learn to live with the fact that your neighbor is poor and imperfect, or report him to the proper authorities for not caring for his animals.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is a classic hoarding situation ... be it dogs, cats, horses, cattle, birds, etc. DO NOT start feeding them as you will be doubling your own feed bill every year and nothing to show for it. Sooner or later you will be out of money and end up in a law suit with those people for your negligense.

john in wa

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i know its hard to do but i would ignore the animals and turn them in for neglect. If you feed them and some thing was to happen to them or one of them you may become liable for the death of the animal.

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I understand better now....
I think I would work as quickly as possible to make your own arrangement and own housing space for the ones you are buying. That will lessen his burden of responsibility and make it easier to afford to feed the remaining ones. Everyone has different views on how animals should be cared for; it sounds like his and yours may not be very similar and seperating yours from his ASAP is your best bet.
Then if he is neglecting the remaining animals, I'd report him, but perhaps things would look up with yours gone. It would be better if you could educate him not alienate him. People who cannot provide consitent daily food should not have animals however. Bossroo is right, it is called hoarding.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know much about zebu cattle, but I have raised several breeds here in South Dakota where it gets REALLY cold. We never let our cows into a building unless they have just calved, and we need to get the calf off to a good start. We have windbreaks that shelter them somewhat, but no roof over their heads. They do just fine all winter long with just some bedding and a good diet of hay. I see no reason that yours wouldn't do just as well in your much warmer climate.

I'd take possession of the cattle you're buying right away and forget about a shelter. Then you can feed them the right way. And it is really not necessary to vaccinate just for the sake of vaccinating. If you have a specific disease that you are worrying about, you should do it, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

If your neighbor gets rid of some cattle, the remaining ones will likely do better, provided that he feeds the same amount of feed. Good luck!

dragonlaurel

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like the older cattle are doing well, except for the one bull. The ones you are buying may need to have less food competition though. Bring them over soon as possible sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they hang out near the other property some to socialize, but they will probably love having their own space, where they are eating good. Good luck with the new herd. :bun

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
A good general rule for any hay/grain eating animal that is neglected and rescued is to start with grass hay free-choice, then gradually add grain and richer hay in small amounts until they get used to it. It is best to build them back up gradually, unless they are in dire straits, near death, but it doesn't sound like it.

The sooner you move your animals over, the sooner his pasture can recover a little and maybe support his animals better. They will be fine with the move and will get used to it. There will likely be some pining for the old herd, and hanging around the fence, but they will learn pretty quickly that they are on the GOOD side of the fence! Get 'em over there, quickly! ;)

Latest posts