Help, first time goat owner, Goat labor imminent??

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congrats!! Has he nursed yet? Nursing will release hormones that will help her to pass the afterbirth. (But, just for fun, some does don't want their babies to nurse until they've passed the afterbirth) You could hand milk her a little bit to speed things along.

If she only has one kid you could/should milk some colostrum and put it in the freezer in case you ever need it. If she hasn't passed the afterbirth after about 6 hours I'd be calling the vet for an injection of oxytocin - but I'll betcha she won't need it and that things will go as nature intended! He's a cutie and we will require more pics!!
It is coming out slowly. He’s nursed. I had to help. Her teats are so big. TMI, warning, reminded me of when my babies were born. You recommend if she doesn’t have more to save some of the colostrum?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is coming out slowly. He’s nursed. I had to help. Her teats are so big.
Great news! Yes, I would go ahead and milk some out of her to freeze. A lot of single babies will concentrate on one teat - so I'd just milk some out of the other one and freeze it.

I prefer they nurse both sides to keep the udder even so maybe taking some of out of the other teat will bring the size down to something he can handle. It takes awhile for some single babies to figure out that there are two faucets, lol. (some never do...)

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will work on that later on. How long do I have before the colostrum
Great news! Yes, I would go ahead and milk some out of her to freeze. A lot of single babies will concentrate on one teat - so I'd just milk some out of the other one and freeze it.

I prefer they nurse both sides to keep the udder even so maybe taking some of out of the other teat will bring the size down to something he can handle. It takes awhile for some single babies to figure out that there are two faucets, lol. (some never do...)
How long before the colostrum is gone? I had to lay down.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's always best to get it sooner than later, but you should be good up to at least 18 - 24 hours - especially if he's only nursed one side. I always label mine as to when I got it. Ex: Fresh colostrum, 12 hour colostrum, 18 hour colostrum, 24 hour colostrum. I've given orphan newborns 24 hour colostrum from a different doe and had them go on and do well.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's always best to get it sooner than later, but you should be good up to at least 18 - 24 hours - especially if he's only nursed one side. I always label mine as to when I got it. Ex: Fresh colostrum, 12 hour colostrum, 18 hour colostrum, 24 hour colostrum. I've given orphan newborns 24 hour colostrum from a different doe and had them go on and do well.
Thanks!!

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Few more pics—
2AB5F267-81E5-4B75-9935-0C4E8006ACBB.jpeg
310CC675-076E-40D8-BE01-8B5EE7BD2535.jpeg
16E1E015-499A-44C7-9DEA-E8284DA7D00E.jpeg

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’ve had 2 successful kiddings out of both my Nigerian Dwarf
Day 145 is today for Dixie, a Nigerian Dwarf. She is a first freshener. Last weekend she looked like she had discharge. I’m a newbie so I’m not sure about her ligaments. I felt her then tipsy and can definitely feel a difference. Here are a few pics. Please advise me on what you think.

View attachment 75059View attachment 75060View attachment 75061
she was being less than cooperative. She didn’t want her picture taken. Every time is move around to her backside, she’d move.
I want to be there when they are born. We have a family commitment for a few hours tomorrow evening. I’m seriously hoping she goes before then. What are your thoughts?
Well, to kill time,
1. when and what time do you think she will deliver?
2. How many bucks and doelings?
3. Will we have another sleepless night?
Guess correctly and you will know you gave me something else to focus on.
Well, to kill time,
1. when and what time do you think she will deliver?
2. How many bucks and doelings?
3. Will we have another sleepless night?
Guess correctly and you will know you gave me something else to focus on.
I’ve had 2 successful kiddings from both my Nigerian Dwarf does. They are really easy kidders so no help should be needed. 1 of my does has only had 1 baby each time. The other had 1 the first time and twins the second time. As for sex it’s up for grabs. My doe that has singles has had a doe both times. The one that had twins this time had a buckling first then one of each this time. All 4 kiddings happened in the morning for me. I give grain daily and when they stopped eating it allThe way gone I knew I had 24 hours or less.

Latest posts