Help! Foot deformities

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey guys, please help, I’m really distraught as I had homes lined up for half these bunnies! They are the inbred oops litter and they are really small so I was selling them as pets.
i recently read some stuff about malocclusion and realized their grandma had it so I was checking everyone’s teeth for that when I noticed one of them was missing a knuckle! So then I inspected her other feet and she had swelling, scarring, and excessive growth on another foot. So I started checking all the babies and 4/6 have at least one toe joint affected.
I’ve already started weaning them and they are in with tan babies who are showing no signs of being affected but if this is fungal I need to separate them asap.
Mom isn’t showing any signs.
Is this just genetics? What do I do? Should we cull the whole genetic line and be done?
i feel so bad this must be painful.
Sorry for the gory pictures but I’m hoping someone will recognize it and tell me what I’m up against?
5308311C-F8F0-46BF-B313-4D8ABEEBBA6E.jpeg
Missing toe
BCF10C6D-2342-46CC-BD6B-F0ACAB553E83.jpeg
7E8BC31D-7E64-4858-AB65-80B2F32FCFFB.jpeg
8A8D74CE-1E05-4FB4-B7B0-3887E3E8206F.jpeg
A270A979-1679-4C88-A735-3D0090AC5DFF.jpeg

@Bunnylady @Baymule

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a dog, or something else that could have been nipping at toes when they stuck through wire? Or maybe they've been in a cage next door to a rabbit that has issues with them putting their feet up on the wire between the cages? If this is only on front feet, I'd be really inclined to think nasty interactions with the next door neighbor.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you have a dog, or something else that could have been nipping at toes when they stuck through wire? Or maybe they've been in a cage next door to a rabbit that has issues with them putting their feet up on the wire between the cages? If this is only on front feet, I'd be really inclined to think nasty interactions with the next door neighbor.
One is a front toe the rest are back feet. Their next door neighbour was my other litter. The dogs only go in under supervision and are preoccupied with eating poo.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here it is closer with rabbit name and sore location.
DA216C1F-56A8-4460-B69B-01E2624AE935.jpeg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've seen this before in my sister's rabbitry....it was dogs leaping up and taking a quick snip at toes sticking through the wire. It was happening so very fast that she almost didn't catch it happening, but finally saw one of her dogs~who she thought were just interested in eating the poop~taking off toes.

That doesn't look like anything genetic or fungal but like wounds.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay based on what you guys are saying I’m going to say territorial next door momma... if I put her own babies beside her as they are weaned is she going to do it to them too?

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you all so much! Any suggestions on treatment? Or just let them heal? I had homes lined up for 3 of them, can I let them go once they’re healed or just offer them kits from the next litter?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they heal up OK, there is no reason why you can't rehome them. I have owned several rabbits that lost toes in this and similar manners, and they did fine. But you also need to do whatever is necessary to keep it from happening again; I have had a number of rabbits that died within days of similarly minor injuries. My suspicion is that they developed systemic infections from the bacteria in the dog's mouth.

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
D2AF338E-5421-403E-845E-74F669B60E4F.jpeg

so everyone with sores got a salt water soak to loosen the build up. Then I doused the wounds in hydrogen peroxide and cleaned out puss. Then 3/4 got polysporin on open wounds and bound up the foot so they can’t lick it off. The fourth one already had some good healing progress so I just left hers open.
My plan is to leave the bandages on for a day and then remove them to get air and start healing.
any other suggestions?