Help for a new goat owner!!!

kyliesmommax5

Just born
Reaction score
Hello there! Well we just got our very first bottle kid! Shes 3 wks old and half milk goat and half Boer. We named her Bella!
I know almost nothing about what I need to do to take care of her! Like When do I wean her? Does she need other food than milk right now and if so what? And if she doesn't finish her bottle can I put it in the fridge and use it later? And any general advice yall have to give would be great!!
Thanks in advance!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
you can wean her between 8 and 12 weeks as long as she is eating solid feed, but you can if you enjoy it keep feeding her until 4 - 5 mths.

at this point she needs her milk but she also needs to have fresh water (in a bowl) available at all times, and also some good grassy hay and either grain or pellets - designed for calves is best, with AT THE VERY LEAST 16% protein, but it is much better if it is 18 - 20% protein. If she doesnt finish the bottle you can put it back in the fridge and use it next time - I actually mix up enough milk for a whole day and keep it in a big jug in the fridge. If she makes a habit of not finishing her bottle, you might want to cut her overall day's allowance of milk down just slightly.

any other questions, just ask!

kyliesmommax5

Just born
Reaction score
Heres another question for ya. I have her in with my chickens. Will it hurt her to eat chicken food?

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
YES YES YES YES YES it will hurt her to eat chicken feed

Get her out of there!

Sorry, I dont mean to offend you or anything. But chicken feed is NOT at all good for goats, and neither is the pathogens that chickens contain in their faeces - I've seen so many young goats die of salmonella passed on from chickens that they live with. And I've seen older goats with chronic illness and eventually death from eating chicken feed.

So please, arrange other living quarters for her.

Any more questions? :D

Btw ... is she named Bella from Twilight?

kyliesmommax5

Just born
Reaction score
Well unfortunate I dont have any other place to put her right now.:(
We are going to build her her own pen but that probably wont be until Tuesday. :rolleyes:
I just went out and was playing with her and I noticed that she has bugs! all over her! like fleas!! How do I get rid of them?? My kids played with her alot today and I want to get this takin care of!! Can I use some sort of flea bath or something? Is there special stuff or what?:/

kyliesmommax5

Just born
Reaction score
And yes it is off of twilight... lol but the kids picked that name out of a list I had pick out!;)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Then just take the chicken feeder out and feed the chickens twice a day while you have the doeling out to play or whenever you bottle feed her. You may not need a pen for her if you let her eat that chicken feed..... the chickens will survive on reduced feed until Tuesday, the doeling might not. This is important. The hens will fill their crops when they have the opportunity once they realize the food is not in front of them all the time, and they will be fine.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
agree with what freemotion said

as for the lice, you can use a lice treatment from your local ag supplier ... just make sure you use the correct dosage for such a young one

Hobby Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
kyliesmommax5 said:
Well unfortunate I dont have any other place to put her right now.:(
We are going to build her her own pen but that probably wont be until Tuesday. :rolleyes:
I just went out and was playing with her and I noticed that she has bugs! all over her! like fleas!! How do I get rid of them?? My kids played with her alot today and I want to get this takin care of!! Can I use some sort of flea bath or something? Is there special stuff or what?:/
I'm not sure if it is acceptable to use for goats as I am new to them, but I would think Food Grade DE would get rid of the bugs. I use it for my chickens and dog. For the dog, I either sprinkle in her bed or just dust here down and I've never had any problems.

Cottage Cheese

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have my two goats with our 18 chickens; they are fine. All I do is make sure they dont get into the lay feed by feeding the goats and the chickens together. So, when the goats eat, they wont get to the chicken feed because they are distracted. I also sweep up their feces every morning,and every night. I have had absolutely no problems.