Help from insightful seasoned goat handler

DidiLulu

Just born
Reaction score
Hi,

In short, I am broke with not a friend in the world. Now that that's out of the way, I don't know jack ****, but am all my goats got. Lou has an impingement digging into his skull, so I attempted to saw his horn or scur, seems to be from the skull, so horn, although he does have scurs as well. Got half way through the cut and bleeding started. I gave Lou a healthy dose of CBD oil so he got calm and settled into my lap, all 100 lbs of him. But he felt it for sure when the blood started, I stopped immediately and sprayed antibacterial then blood stop powder which was effective immediately. Problem is, as you can see from the pictures, he's got half a cut through his horn. I started too far in it seems, though it didn't bleed the whole cut down until where you can see I stopped. What would you do next, if there were no options but yourself, in the current situation?

Attachments

• 20200929_180931_HDR(1).jpg
    20200929_180931_HDR(1).jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20200929_180916.jpg
    20200929_180916.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 20200929_180607.jpg
    20200929_180607.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200929_180552.jpg
    20200929_180552.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 189

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to proceed with that? I hope someone who has experienced this will come along shortly and volunteer some information.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
You might start cutting again, but closer to the tip where there might not be a blood supply or nerves. No way to know for sure since that looks like a scur and not an entire horn. Just an idea - I've never had to cut one like that.

The other choice is to just bite the bullet and finish the cut you started. Have plenty of blood stop on hand and prepare for him not to love you for a few days afterwards.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
As you see, the horn has blood vessel up into center. The idea is that the blood flow is a part of their "cooling" system. 😁 And you thought they were there just to butt you!

So, this big hole will be a bloody mess. It is BEST if you can cauterize but to be sure, there will be NO cooperation from this animal. Flies will be an issue, along with blood. The hole will go into his sinuses, so you may see some bleeding from his nose or mouth. BE SURE he has had a tetanus vaccination.

It appears you are about 1/2 way thru and possibly the damage to the vessels already damaged has healed over inside....I would say that finishing the job may be your best alternative. Plenty of blood stop powder and even a chunk of gauze over, with a bandage around his neck to hold it all in place for a day or so.

There IS THE CHANCE of such blood loss that he dies. But, the chance that he hits it and breaks it on off without you to at least attempt to stop the bleeding also exsists. You do need to at least cut it from the head penetration going on with growth of what appears to be a long growing scur. IIF it is a scur, then some of the vessels may not be formed from the original dehorning attempts. Generally the scurs will not have the full vessel formations. It will take a few weeks totally heal. Keep fly ointment, antibiotics at the ready. Maggots in there would be beyond what you want to see/have happen.

Let us know.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m a bit late to the party, but hello. I’ve seen this happen with a sheep before. We stopped cutting and cut closer to the tip. Tons of qwik stop on the bleeding part as well. The ram was fine. If you are doing stuff alone think about learning how to “hobble” your goats. It is nothing like it sounds, you aren’t injuring them, a hobble is a rope tied around their back legs so they can’t get up or kick you. Check you tube, even checking horse hobbles can give you a general idea of how to do it. The basic rules are make it so you can remove the hobble with one smooth move, I do a quick knot like what you tie horses with. The second rule is don’t injure the animal, so use a large and soft rope without metal on it, don’t tie it too tight, don’t tie in any unnatural positions etc. Be gentle and take your time.