HELP HUMAN PEST

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't know how to begin but here goes. I have 3 properties. 1) is a farm where there is quite a bit of acreage and I have cows grazing there. 2) is a house in town where I live. 3) is a property we are renovating surrounded by high dollar farms. The house/land we are renovating is in a state of disrepair and neglect. It should be obvious to neighbor's the property is being cleaned up as it had trash in the center of an overgrown field you could see from google earth and had a pool full of sludge and weeds growing up the sides of the house not to mention a tree thrown by a tornado in the garage. I could go on about the mess, but its been cleaned up and renovations started. The property also has a large loafing shed and a couple of acres fenced in with page fencing. I decided to get a few mini horses to play with and train to pull carts and also am keeping a couple of auction calves to baby till I can take them to the other farm. I go out daily to feed and train. (Both calves are halter broke and also mini that was about a year and half when I got her a few months back.) I did this slowly over the last 3 months.

Heres' the problem. The neighbor across the street with a fancy barn/house has been coming over and feeding my animals. I kept thinking my bags were going down fast, and then I started finding garden vegetables like gourds in the pens. I had been trying to dry lot the two minis and they kept getting bigger. Now they are pushing obesity. November 21 I got another mini. I didnt care that she was in bad condition both mentally and physically because I enjoy turning animals around. She came with a dirty halter on which normally I'd remove right away but didnt because I wanted to work with her as she came off the trailer a biting kicking shaking tornado with an injured bloody eye. (the sellers delivered). I didn't know and still don't know how she was injured, the only thing I know is she was terrified about being touched and needed her eye treated and checked daily. I made the decision she probably had been wearing that halter for a year or more a few more weeks wouldnt matter so I left it on so I could work with her quickly and lessen trauma. (no abrasions or sores under the halter, just matted fur). Now for the big built up dilemma. I caught the neighbor last week on my property. She claimed my calf was in road quite a distance from where they are kept. She had filled a large feed pan with alfalfa pellets for all 3 minis and 1 calf to (share?). Enough to founder all 3 minis. She had enlisted another neighbor with a 4 wheeler to herd the calf. This is a gentle slow witted uncoordinated calf that I've been babying that you can walk up and halter/pet lead. They put him into a makeshift stall I had made earlier for bottle calves. (round pen panels in the loafing shed) First, I don't believe the calf got loose on his own. I checked the fencing, no gaps. This is the least likely animal to get loose to start with and I doubt he would have wandered far without being chased. The woman had also took off the halter that was on the new mini. I believe she had it in her head because the barn isn't fancy like hers the animals must be abused and /or nobody was coming out to take care of them. Really stupid since there is always free choice hay available, plus there were bags of calf manna, sweet feed alfalfa pellets and compressed alfalfa hay bale and fifty square bales, mineral block, and two, hundred gallon water barrels. The man said my calf loves bread and he told me this lady was a horsewoman and would help me train my horses. I said fine lets get to work now and they both fled. My daily visits feeding the animals was the best part of my day, now I'm just angry. I don't know how to fix this. This woman is a young pretty blonde with nice looking horses and barn. Im not ready to move the animals but feel I have to because I don't live on site. I want to call the police or perhaps animal control to stop this busybody but don't know whether she can turn their ear like she did her next door neighbor. He knows squat about animals and I'm worried about what he may be feeding them. I don't even think bread would be a safe treat for young calves. I don't even believe the calf was on the road. I checked for droppings and there were none outside of the fence. I believe she went in their pen to mess with the minis and the calf got out. I routinely open the gate to separate the calves and minis while feeding since they are regularly rotated that was what he was expecting. He would of only started running if someone chased him and would have tried to stay near the other calf.
But....animals can do surprising things and I would never say a calf couldn't jump a fence, so I don't know what to do. You do want your neighbor's help as we can't watch farm animals 24/7. So what do I do with this EXPERT horsewoman?? Right now I have both calves locked in the stall and don't want to keep them there much longer and am not ready to put them out to pasture, Please someone give me some good advice. My husband doesn't want to do anything. I want to clear the air and make some boundaries without all out warfare, especially since she might be suffering from some kind of mental illness? Is it me or is it pretty extreme behavior on her part? My property is very private from the road and has a long driveway going up 7 acres with the house and barn on the far back. There is also a chain across the driveway.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Game camera and posted "No Trespassing" signs where all can see them clearly. Discuss with the well intentioned "expert" that you have the animals well in hand and would appreciate if they would let you manage their care as you see fit.

You could possibly start this conversation by inviting her over when you are there so you can show her how you are feeding, what you are feeding, how you are training, etc. and then explain that, though you appreciate her concern, you really do have it all under control and, due to liability issues and homeowner insurance policies, would rather she wasn't on the property or near the animals without you being in attendance. Have a witness with you when this happens...even two witnesses would be nice.

Then, if your game cam records any further excursions, you have some video proof of these people trespassing and meddling with the animals even though you've discussed this issue and posted signs.

It's not you and it IS very extreme on her part...around here she would have already had the police at her doorstep. Ya just don't walk up on someone's property without permission unless there is a dire emergency or if you have prior permission.

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think the game cameras are a good idea, and will follow through. I wonder if it would be legal to post pictures of her activities? I saw her today at the end of her driveway peering through the woods trying to see what I'm doing. When I went into the barn I noticed a baling string on the floor. Before when I saw things out of place or the feed was going down faster than it thought I would just assume I forgot, or the cat or a raccoon moved things around. Now I know, I've got a crazy lady. I kept thinking the minis and the calves were not eating the hay and just used it as bedding but I started counting bales and she cut one after our confrontation, so what is happening is they eat about what I estimate they would eat and the rest just lays around. I'm going to take a picture of the pony you see in the avatar, (shortly after purchase a few months ago) and a current one. I was really befuddled why they kept getting bigger and bigger. I don't want to talk with her in person, at this point I'm afraid I might lose my temper and say something rude. Has anyone else had to deal with a Creepers neighbor?? I had a girlfriend once that had a peeping tom but I never heard of someone being obsessed with another person's horses. Maybe the mini's are just too cute.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this current society supports people when they stick their noses in other people's business where animals are concerned. Everyone wants to be a hero and "rescue" some animal from supposed neglect or harm. I'm betting this is not the first time this lady has done this type of thing and might have gotten a lot of attention from it on FB or some other social networking site.

It really is dangerous for your animals for her to be over there messing with their feed amounts and it's dangerous from a liability standpoint for her to be on your property without permission. I'd take a hard line on it all, with witnesses of course, and get that video proof before confronting and possibly approaching the police on the matter.

It's a weird, weird world! :confused:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Game camera and posted "No Trespassing" signs where all can see them clearly. Discuss with the well intentioned "expert" that you have the animals well in hand and would appreciate if they would let you manage their care as you see fit.

You could possibly start this conversation by inviting her over when you are there so you can show her how you are feeding, what you are feeding, how you are training, etc. and then explain that, though you appreciate her concern, you really do have it all under control and, due to liability issues and homeowner insurance policies, would rather she wasn't on the property or near the animals without you being in attendance. Have a witness with you when this happens...even two witnesses would be nice.

Then, if your game cam records any further excursions, you have some video proof of these people trespassing and meddling with the animals even though you've discussed this issue and posted signs.

It's not you and it IS very extreme on her part...around here she would have already had the police at her doorstep. Ya just don't walk up on someone's property without permission unless there is a dire emergency or if you have prior permission.

EXACTLY! Establish your boundaries quickly. We live in a society where everyone thinks everything is their business, and people have not learned boundaries. In my day we called them busy-bodies.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with putting up 'No Trespassing' signs, and a trail camera isn't a bad idea either. I'd also padlock any gate, door and anything else I could. I would not post pictures of her activities...

Will you be moving to that property? It's not fun to have a bad relationship with a neighbor - as you've found, it takes all the fun out of what should be enjoying your own property. Rather than mentally ill, she's probably just an overly-nosy neighbor who thinks what she's doing is right, and in her mind that's justified her *way* overstepping her boundaries.

I might consider writing down my name and phone number on a note, and when I next see her peering at me, wave all friendly-like, and walk up to her and say something like, "Hi! I'm ____, we met recently, and maybe you can help me out? I think someone's been coming onto my property and feeding my animals, and my vet says the minis are getting overweight and it's not good for them - if you see *anybody* coming onto my property, could you (handing her your note) please give me a call? Oh, and I talked to my insurance guy too, and he said it's a *big* liability for anyone to be on the property without me or my husband there, so he suggested I put up cameras, too, just in case something happened. I'm here every day, but you can't be too careful, you know. Anyway, thanks, have a great day!" and smile and walk away..... :)

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think you are right about the "rescue" craze. I watch animal planet and on some of their shows there are animals they seize and then euthanize I think would be happier where they are at. (it would be nice if they would help some poor people with vet bills and neutering or send a volunteer to help grandma with her pet) It makes you wonder if they are running out of real cases. Where I live there is no shortage of abused and neglected animals and wish the authorities would step in and do something. I've noticed the horse rescue type people you are talking about won't keep an ugly horse themselves. If the back starts swaying or the horse gets an ugly injury, they make the "difficult" decision to put them down because it's so "cruel" to let them suffer. I'm so glad you mentioned the rescue mentality because I was mystified what was motivating her. I'm not too worried about the authorities giving me a hard time for starving horses, they are obviously fat and the new one I can prove I just bought 2 weeks ago and that horse is not a starved horse either just weedy looking. I have a good friend that has been rescuing horses for years, long before it became big business. She has a couple of 30 plus year old horses that are looking their age but are happy. She has to keep them out of sight because they don't look pretty even though they are healthy and active. Honestly I would be very nervous about keeping an elderly horse now. I hate seeing a thin horse but the reality is all other factors being equal a fat horse is more unhealthy. I like a well-rounded horse but the palomino you see in the avatar is now rotund, blimp, looks like she is going to foal any minute. People that really rescue horses aren't sanctimonious or get satisfaction from outside attention, they do because they love horses.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What I would do is lock all feed up. Bales of hay and any bagged feed. I doubt she will carry any of her own feed to your barn/field to feed your animals. People with "regular" horses don't understand the difference in feeding minis. They don't understand minis can get fat breathing air. LOL Put cameras in the barn to video her "stealing" your feed. I would view her actions as stealing even if she is feeding it to your animals. It is without your permission. Do you live close to this property? Can you set alarms where they will alert you that someone is messing around the barn? And run over quick and catch her in the act?