HELP HUMAN PEST

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love the post about inviting her to help you figure out who is over feeding your animals. Plus the camera and mention that you are placing a camera up to see who's trespassing on your property.

If all else fails I think an honest conversation asking what are the issues that are bothering her and why she feels the need to intervene on animals that are being cared for properly. Explaining that you are there everyday to see to the needs of your animals.
Good luck.

violetsky888

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I moved them to another location that I'm not happy about. (A weedy pasture loaded with burrs, day one knotted up manes and tails enough to cry over). My husband bought me a remote system I can monitor over the computer with 4 cameras for Christmas. I'm going to spend a month or so preparing and then bring them back. I'm really unhappy putting them out to pasture but they can't handle extra grain, alfalfa and human food she was giving them. I was going to take them to the vet for a pregnancy check but it started to rain and I had to hurry to avoid getting the trailer stuck.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I open carry a Glock 21. That tends to help strangers keep their distance.

And a few years back some folks tried to steal from dad's garden. Big mistake. He fired a warning shot then jumped in his truck and chased them down...in his underwear.

image.jpg

Darling daughter getting ready to head over to our farm from my dad's to do some work.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would just get straight to the point with her and not dance around the subject. I have dealt with mentally ill people for 14 yrs. as a human nurse and Special Ops. Team member for our local Sheriff's Office and you must be straight to the point, tell her your wishes of her not being on your property and the consequences if she trespasses again, and stick to your word and don't back down. Our Farm Bureau person told us that "No Trespassing" signs must be placed at 50 ft. Intervals in order for your property to be considered posted as no trespassing. I also would do a couple of trail/ game cams to show her you have proof of her trespassing behavior that way when you confront her, she has nothing to lie about. The other solution would be to camp out on the property and catch her in the act of committing her nonsense. I might be tempted to call the local law enforcement agency and have them show up on the property and go ahead and file a report that way it is on record and if she trespasses again, there is a report on file and they already have an idea who it is. Maybe they will add this to their watch list when they patrol. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule, treat others as you'd want to be treated. How would they like it if you came over to their property and messed with their animals and feed? People anger me sometimes. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: CJR

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I open carry a Glock 21. That tends to help strangers keep their distance.

And a few years back some folks tried to steal from dad's garden. Big mistake. He fired a warning shot then jumped in his truck and chased them down...in his underwear.

View attachment 2297
Darling daughter getting ready to head over to our farm from my dad's to do some work.
That way of handling trespassers will get you in BIG TROUBLE. You can't just threaten someone with bodily harm or shoot at them. Threatening them is called assault and actually discharging a gun in someone's general direction could be considered wreckless endangerment with both of these acts resulting in possible jail time in a worst case scenario. Trust me, I was on our local Sheriff's Office Special Ops. Team up until 2 yrs. ago as well as working in the jail. I know a bit about the law.
:mad:

Last edited:

Elyssia001

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That way of handling trespassers will get you in BIG TROUBLE. You can't just threaten someone with bodily harm or shoot at them. Threatening them is called assault and actually discharging a gun in someone's general direction could be considered wreckless endangerment with both of these acts resulting in possible jail time in a worst case scenario. Trust me, I was on our local Sheriff's Office Special Ops. Team up until 2 yrs. ago as well as working in the jail. I know a bit about the law.
:mad:

I don't believe he goes about waving it at people or threatening them. He simply carries it on his person where most observant people can see that it is there. Knowing that someone has in their possession a hand gun can often prevent a situation from escalating, as well as provide a non-verbal warning to others who are where they ought not be.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Elyssia001 is correct. Where we are there is a lot of illegal drug activity. It started as pot growers sneaking onto people's farms to now meth labs. KY is an open carry state so there is nothing wrong with strapping on an iron.

According to the local sheriff, if there is a theft within the boundaries of your posted property then you are within your right to fire a warning shot. If they enter your car or house you can drop them like a rock. Of course anytime anywhere you are under bodily harm you have the right to self defense.

We have a 150 yd range on our farm that KSP and some on the sheriffs dept come to shoot on at times. It's nice to see cruisers on our rural road.

I do not advocate waving a weapon in a persons face. However, when strangers know you are armed they tend to stir clear if they have nefarious plans. We still have strangers pull up to ask to hunt or collect mushrooms. Point being, if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to fear.

ETA: all state laws differ, so check with your LEOs.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't believe he goes about waving it at people or threatening them. He simply carries it on his person where most observant people can see that it is there. Knowing that someone has in their possession a hand gun can often prevent a situation from escalating, as well as provide a non-verbal warning to others who are where they ought not be.
Yes, but the flip side can also be true. A gun can also escalate a situation. I am all for guns and own several myself, but, my belief is not to use one unless it is your life or theirs and not just because they are in your car and then "Drop them like a rock" because the law says you can. There are many "gray" areas, and yes, you must know your local law and how they pertain to use and ownership etc... But every life is precious and a gun should be the absolute last resort. It would be an absolute shame to have to sell the farm to pay a civil suit against you. The courts now days are all about the criminal's rights and are so liberal it makes me sick. I am just advocating a less confrontational and bit more peaceful path to resolution of conflict. I will tell you though, if I perceive my life or my family's life is in harm's way, all bets are off and I will use lethal force if necessary but I feel some people who "open carry" a weapon just draw attention to themselves even in high drug/ crime areas. Some people should just not carry a weapon (excluding law enforcement) because they are "Hot Heads", act pompous, and have the "Barney Fife" complex going on. It is our right to bear arms but what if everyone carried? Guns have their place in our society, and it should not be used as an accessory to make you feel like you have the right to say whatever you want to whomever you want and talk all big and bad. These people are the ones who tend to misuse our right to bear arms and one day ruin it for everyone. BTW, some of my friends and former fellow officers come to our farm to shoot and target practice and sight in new weapons, but not one of them "open carry" a weapon while off duty or they would get laughed at by their fellow officers mercilessly.
:smack

Last edited:

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All LEOs that I know of conceal carry. I have my CCW as well. I understand your point and I am not trying to be flippant in any way. The main two reasons we open carry on the farm are to let human predators know we are armed and not to be seen as potential victims and the second is for animal predators. We have plenty of bobcats, coyotes, and copperheads to deal with.

I respect your view and I have seen too many Barney Fife types in my day. But I would never tell a law abiding citizen that they cannot carry as long as they observe the laws.

ETA: believe me when I say I fully respect the sanctity of all life. I am prior service and have been fired upon and returned fire.

Latest posts