Help! I’m Desperate! - MASTITIS 3 Goats & 1 Human!

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Please help me out! I’ve only been milking my goats for about 2 months, and I’m having a rough go at it. I must be doing something wrong!

Goat#1 : developed a hard mass in one udder overnight. The soft/normal side dropped significantly in production, and on the hard side I could only get a few squirts of yellowish milk out, milked several times throughout the day, down to nothing coming out by evening, but mass was still there. Positive mastitis strip test on the little bit I could get out earlier in the day, she had a fever, and spent about 18 hours off her feed. Lengthy massages and rubbing Dynamint on it several times a day (we are organic due to our human family health concerns/sensitivities) and eventually got the swelling down so her udder was soft again on both sides. Production still ZERO on the previously hard side, back to normal production on the other side within about 6 days. (2F but first time being milked) I decided to dry her off because who wants to milk one teat... but THEN...

Goat #2 about a week and a half later, exact same thing, but opposite teats. She had a fever but did not go off her food. Currently on day 4 or so, her fever is gone but her udder still has the mass in it, and I cannot for the life of me get ANYTHING out of that teat! Production in the “good” teat now increased to about half of normal. (Goat #2 is FF and Goat#1’s daughter)

ME, Human#1: 3 days ago, I developed mastitis on one side. I am/was breastfeeding my 18mo old daughter. Never had mastitis before now, and it has me wondering if there is something contagious taking out half the teats in my herd, especially because...

Goat#3 Presented last night with a mass in one udder, low fever, sudden drop in production. I’m able to get a small amount of milk from the “bad” teat (for now, expecting that to be done with soon considering the previous 2). (Goat #3 2F/1st time Milker and is Goat#1’s sister...

Is something wrong with their bedding? Could it be a milk handling issue? Is mastitis contagious or possibly even viral? Could they be eating too much calcium or something?

Also, please send advice on how to get the bad teats to produce! And if you have any other treatment ideas, really prefer natural/old school but understand not everyone is on the same page with that, so open to other suggestions as well.

Please let me know your ideas on what I’m doing wrong. I’m a newbie and can use all the help! Be patient with me :) I am worried this will take out my other 2 does in milk!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If in doubt, clean the bedding. Keep them dry and outside when you can. Chlorhexidine to wash before with, then fight-bac spray after to close the teat. Use paper towels, new one for each goat. Wash your hands at least after, if not between goats.
Personally I'd get your goats and yourself treated asap. Bacteria ARE contagious.
There may be some otc remedies for the goats, but I'd take your treatment very seriously. Ouch.

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If in doubt, clean the bedding. Keep them dry and outside when you can. Chlorhexidine to wash before with, then fight-bac spray after to close the teat. Use paper towels, new one for each goat. Wash your hands at least after, if not between goats.
Personally I'd get your goats and yourself treated asap. Bacteria ARE contagious.
There may be some otc remedies for the goats, but I'd take your treatment very seriously. Ouch.
Thank you for the advice. I cleared myself up pretty quickly, I did not have a fever thankfully. About the Chlorhexidine, is this something I need to apply then wash off with water, or does it stay on? Do you soak your paper towels in it, spray the paper towel, or spray the teat? Thanks.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got a gallon of the 2% stuff from Amazon and dillute two tsp per cup of water, and make paper towel wet wipes. That works. I'm honestly not sure of it actually needs dillution at that bottle strength, but it has helped external injuries on both my hands and their udders heal faster at that strength without causing irritation or dryness. I don't rinse it off.

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I got a gallon of the 2% stuff from Amazon and dillute two tsp per cup of water, and make paper towel wet wipes. That works. I'm honestly not sure of it actually needs dillution at that bottle strength, but it has helped external injuries on both my hands and their udders heal faster at that strength without causing irritation or dryness. I don't rinse it off.
Wonderful. Thank you for the info.

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Also, an update. For Goat #2 I was able to get a few squirts out today. What’s coming out is milkwhite but is thicker, like a thin glue. Hoping that means she is healing because I’ve gotta get this stuff out of her! Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Hoping more folks will chime in as well.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I personally have never used a hand pump so no help there but if you dont squeeze the top of the teat enough milk can be forced back into the utter and cause issue.

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I personally have never used a hand pump so no help there but if you dont squeeze the top of the teat enough milk can be forced back into the utter and cause issue.
I appreciate that. I will be extra careful with my technique when hand milking. I’m new at this so I’m sure I’m not doing it perfectly! Thanks for the helpful advice.

Latest posts