Help!!! I adopted a kid a week ago and she is very sick

redtailgal

Reaction score
I really suggest that you start on a medication for coccidia. Bloody bowel poop is a tell tale sign of coccidia. It could cause her permanent damage if left untreated.

and I dont agree with giving pepto or kaopectate to a scouring baby. there is something in there the body needs to get rid of, by slowing it down, the body has to keep the whatever it is in there longer. Plus with pepto/kaopectate you run a risk of constipating the kid, which will lead to death much quicker than runny poop.

RobinB

Just born
Reaction score
shes doing a little better starting to show interest in her food but refuses to actually eat it, tried giving her shredded carrots but she bit me instead and spit the carrot out. i was told to try molasses in her food but i am not sure if it will help. i was also told sugar. she has been pacing the kennel and finally laid down so i put her food and water closer to her but now because its not the pedialite she wont drink it . my dogs vet used to work on large animals so i am going to call him tomorrow and ask him maybe he can give me some sound advice... i actually just bought some cherry flavored pepto and she tried to eat the syringe. i just fear her small stature that too much of anything might be harmful to her .. but on the positive note her ears are perked up and when she is up and moving around her eyes are wide open when earlier i couldnt get her to keep her eyes open. its going to be a long rough night I just hope she makes it.. thank you for all your help and support.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are you offering her hay? Alfalfa hay would be perfect, They have to be very sick to not want to pick the leaves off of Alfalfa hay. Or how about some fresh picked branches? I would give up on the grain while she is sick, and stick to roughage(hay/leaves).

RobinB

Just born
Reaction score
she is slowly doing better i talked to a cousin in maine who said to try to give her warm oatmeal and she has been nibbling the scours have stopped and there is alot less blood she is drinking and trying to nibble at her food still very weak but she has made it through the night and has been drinking plenty of water i took her outside for a while but she had no interest in grazing she went right into the pen and into the goat house to lay down but it started to rain and she was not going to have it. i turned around and she was up the stairs trying to get into the house she sat back down in the dogs kennel and started pulling up the news paper made her self a nice little bed and is now back to laying down..she has not pooped yet though but is no longer whining i gave her a dose of anti biotics this morning orally, i tried to give her hay that i have for our bunny but she refuses to eat itshe only seems to want carrots and oat meal.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
What antibiotic are you giving her orally?

I'd guess coccidiosis (and recommend a fecal) and if you don't put her on a sulfa drug ASAP you may well lose her.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Roll farms said:

I'd guess coccidiosis (and recommend a fecal) and if you don't put her on a sulfa drug ASAP you may well lose her.
I agree!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Roll farms said:

I agree!
X2