Help. I think my doe might be having a problem kidding.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have this doe that is due sometime in Sept. Not sure of the exact date from the man we got her from. We got two does that were pregnant. One due this month and the other in Nov. sometime. For a week now she has had this... what I would call plug popping out her vagina off and on. She doesn't cry or bahhh any differently. I have a picture of it, but it is pretty graphic. So I wanted make sure it is okay to post it first before posting it. Her milk sack if full and she is definetly pregnant. I think trips, but hubby is saying twins. I had another doe kid two months ago and she did not have this. We did not know that doe was pregnant till babies were coming. I know every doe just like every body is different, that is why I am waiting things out with her. She waddles like a pregnant lady. :lol: She had kidded two other times so this is not her first. I guess with each one I am going to worry about them. I feel it is her plug trying to pass so she goes into labor, but is there such of thing of inducing on goats? Do you always let mother nature and God handle things? Sorry this got so long.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Post the picture, it is okay.
Passage of the plug does not initiate labor, but it is a sign labor is near...
No, you don't want to induce labor unless necessary. Interference with drugs can make for a difficult delivery, it's best just to let the doe do it on her own unless your vet will be delivering....

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Since she is not under any distress I would let nature take its course. If she were having problems then a vet might want to induce her. She has kidded before so she should do fine. For now just Keep an eye on her. Good luck...send pictures when she kids

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
374_animals_081.jpg
[/url][/img]

I said the photo was a little graphic. Sorry, but she is not acting any different except she waddles more cause she is bigger and her milk sack is bigger. She is not crying all day long or anything like that. She still comes to me and rubs her head on my leg for me to rub her behind her ears.

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
the picture is kinda small but that looks like more than just a plug..

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Does this go in when she stands up?
Looks like she has a pretty good prolapse,...Call your vet..... he/she will have some suggestions for you depending on how severe it is. This needs attention.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It goes in and out. Sometimes it is out further than maybe a few days before, then there are days that it won't come out at all. She plays with one of the other does that she has always played with and eats, drinks and waddles just like normal. Like I said she is not crying like my other doe did when she was getting ready to kid. That doe cried for a day before kidding. Nothing is different about her except for this to come out every now and then and has been doing it for a week now today. She wasn't crying or seem in pain so I did not call the vet. We know of a vet about an hour from here that does large animals. I got his name from the guy I got this doe from.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It looks like a vaginal prolapse to me. If it goes in when she stands I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the time when the does delivery hormones kick in, the prolapse goes back to normal.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep,..with this though, bacteria is constantly being introduced into the uterus,....not a good thing.
Most breeders cull does with this problem...

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've seen does with this problem deliver without incidence, because the cervix is closed until delivery. Some will develop a little vaginal discharge, but again, it was not a problem. The does I have seen with this issue had it for one kidding and not for the following kiddings.

Latest posts