Help. I think my doe might be having a problem kidding.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not go in when she is up or laying down. This morning when I was out checking on everyone and giving some fresh hay she was up walking and it was out then it went in. She was coming up to me like normal. No crying either. Nothing unusal except for this sticking out. ;) I think maybe I will call the guy we got her from and see if it is something she did in her other kiddings. He had about 60 does and two bucks and had been breeding for years, so he knows more than me cause this will be our only second kidding, and I have another to go in Nov. :/

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I think that is a good idea to call the breeder who you bought the does from. If you don't feel that the answer is ok, then call the vet. With being new to goats, I think consulting your vet is best. As you become more experienced, you will call your vet less and less.

Good luck with your doe.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I called the breeder we got this doe from and he had it happen once before. He gave that doe to another breeder that was more experience. So I called her and she said it is the uterus, and as long as it stays moist she will kid just fine. She said the other doe did this for a month before kidding. I think our doe is alot closer to kidding so we are just keeping a close eye on her, and keeping it as clean as possible. Thanks for everyones info.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Her uterus looks like a inside out balloon with small bump/fingers all over it. If her uterus was hanging out it would be an emergency. It sounds like you need to call a vet so they can look at her-put your mind at ease.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The uterus is behind the cervix, which is closed...if it wasn't closed, you'd be looking at a nose hanging out right now.. What you see there is the vajayjay trying to turn inside out from the pressure of the pregnancy. As others have said, it's called a Vaginal Prolapse.

I've never had a doe do this on me, so I can't advise.. I just wanted to point out that you're not looking at the cervix..

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Like others have said, there is no way a uterus can come out before the kids. Physically impossible. If you have concern about your doe, then I would have the vet look at her.

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
374_animals_089.jpg
[/img]

My Sugar had twins this afternoon. Both blue eyed. boy/girl. Everything went fine and no problems with whatever she had going on back there. I am just thankful everything was okay in the end. Momma and kids are doing great. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congratulations, they are darling.