HELP!!!! I think Spice is in labor!

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi All!

I think this is it...finally! :D

I glanced out the window and saw her licking out 8 week old pot belly piglets, whom she normally hates (typical behavior is butting them). She is also talking a lot. She squatted down and "peed" gloppy brownish-yellow stuff, which has me concerned. Is this normal? How long does the licking, talking stage last before arrival of baby/babies? I'm trying to stay calm, but I'm scared to death! I wish I could bring the computer to the barn and ask questions and look up info as I need to!

Say a prayer, please!

Thanks!

She did the glurpy-gross pee thing again about 15 minutes ago (20 min after first one)

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If Spice is normally sized for her breed don't worry. She'll do it all on her own. Of course me saying not to worry is quite funny. I do it every time and they still never let me do anything. Check her udder and see if it is really tight and then feel either side of her tail and see if those areas are mushy. When she has the kid make sure she starts cleaning it shortly after or you may have to do it. Make sure the mouth and nose are clear and the kid should be talking quite quickly. Usually within 30 minutes they are eating but not always. Watch until the kid eats and Momma passes the after birth. AND TAKE PICTURES!!

:thumbsup\

Chris

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OK, here are some pics I tried to take of her (gross) discharge to see if it is in the "normal" yes, the baby is coming category, or if it is in the call the vet category.

629_001.jpg

629_002.jpg

629_004.jpg

Close up of glop
629_005.jpg

Is this the real thing? I don't want to be sitting out in the barn for the next three days if this is just a getting close but not imminent phase.

Thanks!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've never had one do that much unless it's the real thing. Good luck!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Are you seeing any contractions? That's usually my for-sure sign...if she stops and acts like she's thinking hard about something, w/ or w/out back arches or obvious pain, at regular intervals. Some are just bigger drama queens than others. Good luck!

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Nothing yet...thanks for the positive goo clarification! She keeps having contractions (at least I think they qualify as contractions), sometimes "squatting" sometimes standing quietly and "thinking" through them. She hasn't started pushing with the classic bent tail indicating labor. I hope that stage starts soon becasue I'm sure she's getting tired out (I know I am and all I'm doing is watching her!).

Can I offer her some water with molasses during labor to perk her up a bit, or should she not drink until after delivery? I'm giving her a little break right now...turned the lights off in the barn to try to clear out some of the flies/bugs. I'll have to remember to shut the barn doors when I go back in (very soon!) :D I'm getting eaten alive out there!

Hopefully my next posting will include photos of beautiful, healthy goatie baby(ies)!

Thanks, everybody!

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OK, how long is this going to take? I'm really starting to get concerned because she hasn't gotten to any serious pushing yet. Any time frames for a first time goat pregnancy?