HELP!!!! I think Spice is in labor!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
how long has this doe been discharging amber goop and squatting?

my gut feeling is she is taking too long, and needs to have an internal exam NOW

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
username taken said:
how long has this doe been discharging amber goop and squatting?

my gut feeling is she is taking too long, and needs to have an internal exam NOW
I agree. It should not be taking this long for her to have those babies.

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I tried to do the internal, but couldn't more than 2 fingers inside. Is she just dilating slowly? She started discharging amber goo and squatting at about 4 pm yesterday afternoon.

I'm trying to get a hold of the vet a friend recommended.

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We lost both Spice and the baby.

The vet came out and was doing an internal on her. He said that the kid was gone (he didn't know if she was delivering prematurely or if it had died a while ago) and Spice was only dialated to about 2 cm so he was trying to stretch her little by little. Spice was handling it like a trooper. The dr. gave her a little break and then started up again. I was holding on to her, singing, "Jesus Loves Me". She suddenly stopped breathing. The dr. tried to do mouth to mouth on her, but she didn't respond. He said that she looked great and that he suspected that she might have had a heart abnormality that caused her to die under severe stress. He said that calling earlier probably wouldn't have helped.

This is going to be a rough day.

I haven't told our five children yet. We all adored her.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugs
Yellowrosebouquet.jpg
:hugs

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear that. It is always hard to lose an animal that feels like part of the family. Please know that you did your best and there was nothing you could have done. Spice looked like she was very loved and well taken care of. :hugs

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sorry :(

For future reference, a doe should not go more than 2 - 4 hrs of squatting and gooping without making some sort of progress. If no progress has been made by this time, ie. she hasnt moved to heavy pushing, assistance is needed.

Once the doe starts pushing, progress should be made every half hour - ie. something new should happen every half hour, a bag appear, a foot appear, a nose appear, a baby born, another baby born, a placenta born etc. If the progress stops, assistance is needed.

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
username taken said:
I'm sorry :(

For future reference, a doe should not go more than 2 - 4 hrs of squatting and gooping without making some sort of progress. If no progress has been made by this time, ie. she hasnt moved to heavy pushing, assistance is needed.

Once the doe starts pushing, progress should be made every half hour - ie. something new should happen every half hour, a bag appear, a foot appear, a nose appear, a baby born, another baby born, a placenta born etc. If the progress stops, assistance is needed.
I only waited to call because one of the goat books written by a well-known"expert" said that it can take first timers 12 hours in the first stage of labor. Other places say 2 hours. AWhat is a new goat person supposed to do? What advice do you listen to?

My gut told me something wasn't right, but my brain said, "Give her time" because she wasn't showing any signs of stress. She was nibbling at her hay, wandering around, being friendly. I asked the doctor if it would have had a different outcome if I had called sooner, and he said, "Most likely not." He believed the kid had been gone for quite a while (days, weeks) as he couldn't feel any teeth when he was feeling around inside. He repeatedly told me that he believed she had a bad heart and that she would have died anyhow when the time for serious pushing was needed.